Faculty: Faculty of Arts and Education
School: School of Journalism
Master of Arts (Deakin)
Current PhD student UniSA
Kristy Hess is a lecturer in journalism who spent her journalism career working in regional media. She has worked as a lecturer at Deakin since 2007 and believes that a good teacher’s passion for learning should be infectious, so that they inspire students to learn and embrace new challenges. Kristy encourages her students to engage in critical inquiry while teaching the skills necessary for a career in the news media. She also works to develop experiential learning opportunities and employment prospects for journalism students. During the next several years, Kristy is interested in undertaking research to consider new and innovative ways of linking students to potential employers and fostering more learning partnerships with industry leaders, particularly in regional Australia.
Current teaching and learning projects/interests
- Experiential learning opportunities for students.
- Informing journalism educators and students on effective strategies to work with cultural diversity (with academic colleague Lisa Waller).
Teaching and learning awards / fellowships
- Deakin University Vice Chancellor Award for Teaching Excellence
- Deakin University Vice Chancellor Award for Contribution to Rural and Regional Engagement
- Deakin University Deans Award for Excellence in Teaching (team)
- Deakin University Faculty of Arts and Education teaching award for an early career teacher
Teaching and learning grants
- Devised and coordinated the four-year Schools Network project jointly funded by the Faculty of Arts and Education and Marketing Division ($44,000)
- Reporting Diversity project to trial educational material in Australian universities in partnership with colleague Lisa Waller ($13,000)
- School of Communication and Creative Arts funding to investigate parent-teacher learning partnerships in the classroom (focus on improving literacy) in partnership with academic colleague Bernadette Walker-Gibbs ($2000)
- Teaching and Learning Grant to trial educational material in the classroom in partnership with academic colleague Lisa Waller ($1000)
To be provided
back to top