Working in Australia

As an international student at Deakin, you can work part-time according to the conditions of your visa. Find the job for you — whether you need extra income or are looking for study-related work experience.

Your student work visa

From 1 July 2023, you can work up to 48 hours per fortnight during trimesters on your student visa. During trimesters when you are not studying and breaks between trimesters, you can work as much as you want. Make sure to balance your study and work commitments by:

  • maintaining your course enrolment
  • ensuring satisfactory course attendance
  • ensuring satisfactory course progress.

Check your visa conditions

Work experience

Professional work experience while you study can help you prepare for your future career. At Deakin, we have an emphasis on practical, real-world learning. Many of our degrees include work experience, known as work integrated learning (WIL), as a requirement or elective unit.

Finding work

Deakin's online jobs database supports students and graduates to find secure employment. Explore the careers tools and resources to help increase your chances of finding part-time work while studying.

Your rights at work

Workers in Australia, including international students, are protected by workers’ rights. You have the right to formal pay slips, safe conditions and minimum pay. Book an appointment with Deakin Student Legal Service if you have any concerns about your working conditions in Australia.

DeakinTALENT is an amazing opportunity to gain real-life professional work experience – I’ve developed my network and skillset. DeakinTALENT also provides helpful resources regarding job opportunities and employment.

Tatyana, Indonesia

Bachelor of Nutrition Science

Working after your degree

You might be able to stay in Australia and work with a post-study work visa after you graduate. Typically, a post-study work visa allows you to stay and work between two and four years, depending on your qualification.

You can apply for this visa if you have studied for a minimum of two years and completed an eligible qualification from an Australian educational institution. Eligible qualifications include:

  • bachelor degree
  • bachelor degree with honours
  • masters by coursework degree
  • masters (extended) degree
  • masters by research degree
  • doctoral degree.
  • Geelong and Warrnambool are designated regional areas. This means that graduates from Deakin campuses in those cities may be eligible for an extended temporary post-study work visa.

Find out more about post-study work visas

Careers and employment support 

Want to increase your employability and reach your professional goals? Our award-winning careers and employment service DeakinTALENT can help prepare you for the Australian job market. Join our Deakin International Student Careers program to access events, webinars and resources.

Learn more about DeakinTALENT

Get help or contact Deakin

Our friendly advisers are available to speak to you one-on-one about your study options, support services for international students and how we can help you study at Deakin in Australia.

Phone: +61 3 9918 9188

Enquire online