How to defer

If you need to, you can postpone starting your course at Deakin. This is called deferring – and it allows you to keep your place at university for up to two years for domestic students, or one year for international students. If you intend to defer, you should not enrol in your course.

Advice about deferring

We want to make sure your time at Deakin is as rewarding as it possibly can be – so if you need to wait until you take care of some personal, financial or professional obligations, you can arrange to postpone starting your studies.

If you'd like some advice about whether or not deferring is the right option for you, get in touch with one of our friendly Student Advisers.

Which offers can’t be deferred?

You can’t defer if you:

  • have been re-admitted to a course
  • are already enrolled
  • are a cross-institutional student
  • are studying a non-award unit(s)
  • a student who has received an offer for the Doctor of Medicine.

Deferring your offer

Deferring your direct offer

If you need to defer a direct offer, please complete the online deferral of offer form within five days of receiving your offer. You’ll receive an automatic reply upon submission and a confirmation once your deferral is approved and processed. It takes approximately 7 working days to process your deferral, although during peak periods, it may take longer.

If you haven’t received confirmation after ten working days, please email us.

Complete the deferral of offer form

Deferring your VTAC offer

To defer your VTAC offer from Deakin please complete the VTAC deferral of offer form by the deadline specified in your offer email. You will be presented with a receipt number as your deferral will be automatically approved.

International students

If you’re an international student and want to defer prior to enrolment, you’ll need to contact the Deakin staff member listed on your letter of offer.

Starting at Deakin after your deferral

When your deferral is finished and you’re due to start at Deakin, we’ll send you an email with enrolment advice. It’s important that we have your correct contact details. Make sure we have your current postal and email addresses at all times. To update your details submit an online enquiry.

Want to come back early or delay your return?

If you would like to return early, cancel your deferral or extend your deferral, please email us at

Remember, you cannot defer your place for longer than two years.

Contact us

It's only natural to have questions as you prepare for uni, and our experts are here to help. Get in touch by phone or submit an online enquiry.

Student Central
03 9244 6333