Why become a Deakin University Young Influencer
If you're a strong leader in your local community, have a willingness to help others or enjoy thinking of new ideas to solve real-world problems, the Deakin University Young Influencer Award may be perfect for you.
Applications are open to current Year 11 students who:
- have made an outstanding contribution to their school or local community, or perhaps a community in need in Australia or overseas
- demonstrate a real willingness to help, coach, teach or care for others in a significant way
- foster inclusive and supportive environments wherever they go
- show a willingness to challenge preconceived ideas and the status quo
- are strong leaders, helping to bring about change for the betterment of others
- generate and apply new ideas and fresh thinking to real-world problems and help to deliver new solutions that make positive impacts
- share knowledge and cultivate connections on a local level, or, far and wide; and
- are committed students who have achieved above-average Year 11 results.
Recipients of our Young Influencer Award will receive a $5000 scholarship.
You'll receive a payment of $500 at your school's 2020 awards ceremony. The remaining $4500 will be paid across your first year of undergraduate study at Deakin University in 2022.
Celebrate your achievements
Be recognised for your efforts both in and out of the classroom, including your academic success, leadership skills and extra-curricular activities.
Kickstart your university studies
Being named as an award recipient highlights past accomplishments while motivating you to achieve your potential in Year 12 and into the future, supporting a smooth transition to university.
Distinguish yourself from your peers
Our prestigious award is offered to just one student from each of Deakin’s select group of schools, meaning this excellent addition to your resume will give you a distinct edge on others in your future pursuits.
The annual Deakin Young Influencer Award acknowledges outstanding students, who represent Deakin's values.
Deakin has always valued and contributed to the communities we serve.
- Do you make outstanding contributions to the community – in or out of school?
- Do you help to foster a supportive and inclusive environment?
- Can you demonstrate that you stand up for what you believe in?
Deakin is agile and responsive to change, with a history of using cutting-edge technology to provide personal and flexible learning experiences to prepare our graduates for the jobs of the future.
- Do you think laterally?
- Do you challenge preconceived ideas or the status quo?
- Do you generate and apply fresh thinking to real-world problems?
At Deakin, we're always looking forward, as we continuously advance education through progressive teaching, innovative research and global engagement.
- Can you offer new solutions to existing problems?
- Are you open and adaptive to change?
- Do you share knowledge and connect with others easily?
The scholarship has provided me with opportunities to extend myself, grow as an individual, and added so much more to my Deakin experience. I encourage secondary students to embrace this and other opportunities that come their way.
2018 Deakin Young Influencer Award recipient, current Deakin student
17 August 2020
9 October 2020
Successful recipients announced
26 October 2020
Please note that winners are selected by their school. Deakin University will contact students directly about the outcome of their application.
I wanted to apply for this award to motivate myself not to give up on my studies and aspirations, and to remind myself of Deakin’s values as they can help you become the best version of yourself.
2017 Deakin Young Influencer Award recipient and current Deakin student
of universities worldwide
Our world-class university offers a real-world learning experience fuelled by progressive thinking, innovative facilities, cutting-edge teaching and flexible learning.
For more information about the Deakin University Young Influencer Award, please get in touch by contacting the team.
*ARWU Rankings 2020