- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
Researcher output profile for Dr Steven Cooke
After completing my PhD, I spent five years in Higher Education in the UK, first as a Research Fellow and then as a lecturer in Historical and Cultural Geography at the University of Hull. I moved to Australia in 2002 and worked in the heritage sector for nine years. During this time I had the opportunity to work in some of Victoria's most significant places, including the Old Melbourne Gaol, Polly Woodside and the Shrine of Remembrance. These experiences have shaped my research interests which lie within the area of heritage, memory and identity, particularly the management of dark or dissonant heritage.
I am working on a number of interrelated research projects, including:
- A history of the Jewish Holocaust Centre in Melbourne with colleagues in ADRI
- Survivor testimony and returns to sites of atrocity (with Donna Frieze)
- The pedagogic potential of Holocaust landscapes (also with Donna Frieze)
- Heritage reconstruction after natural disasters: the case of Padang, Indonesia (with Kristal Buckley and Jonathan Sweet)
- The development of Holocaust exhibitions in the UK, Australia and the UK in the early 1960s
As part of the forthcoming centenary of Anzac I have also been commissioned by the Box Hill, Blackburn and Mitcham RSLs to write a history of the links between these Melbourne suburbs and the Gallipoli landings. The book, to be published in 2015, will tell the story of those men and women from the shire that served and those that died during the Gallipoli campaign. It will provide an account of Nunawading on the home front and show how the war affected the lives of local men and women both during and after the campaign, particularly the continuing impact of the war on those that returned. It will trace the personal and collective memories of those events and show the ways they resonate and are relevant to the Blackburn, Box Hill and Mitcham communities today.
Lorinda Cramer (PhD)
Allison Knight (MA)
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B