Bachelor of Education - 4th Year Primary Conversion

Course summary for current students


2015 course information

Award granted Bachelor of Education
Duration1.25 years full-time or part-time equivalent
Deakin course codeE356P

For continuing students only.  Final intake was 2009.

Course sub-headings

Course overview

The Bachelor of Education-Primary Conversion course is designed for teachers with an approved early childhood teaching qualification or an approved secondary teaching qualification who wish to be employed as primary teachers.  The degree normally comprises 10 credit points of required units completed by part-time study.  All students must complete a minimum of 45 days of supervised school experience in a primary setting.

Fees and charges

Unit fees can be viewed within individual unit descriptions. You can search for a unit using the Unit Search.

Please be aware:

  • Fees are calculated on a per unit basis
  • Fees charged will depend on the individual units chosen
  • Fees per unit/credit point may increase annually due to rises in the cost of course delivery and services

Course rules

To be awarded the Bachelor of Education-Fourth Year Primary Conversion, a student must satisfactorily complete the 10 credit points of study comprising the list of course-grouped units leading to the award.

The course of study shall normally be completed within a period of not less than five trimesters of part-time study and not more than 10 trimesters of part-time study. Further extensions of time may be granted with the permission of the Faculty Board which must not exceed 10 consecutive years from the date the student first enrolled in the course.

The course of study shall include satisfactory completion of at least 45 days of supervised school experience in a primary setting.

Course structure

Cloud (online) enrolled students (Part time only)
Note: Students enrolled prior to 2007 should contact their enrolment officer for course advice.

Level 1

EEE404 Children: Culture, Development and Learning - no longer available for enrolment

ECL400 Primary Language Education 1 - no longer available for enrolment

EME497 Primary Mathematics Education 1 - no longer available for enrolment

EEE405 Creating Effective Learning Environments - no longer available for enrolment

EEP501Primary School Experience 5A

Level 2

ECA551Primary Arts Education

EME500Primary Mathematics Education 2

ESH500 Primary Physical and Health Education - no longer available for enrolment

EES540 Primary Science Education - no longer available for enrolment

EEP504Primary School Experience 5D

Level 3

ECL500 Primary Language Education 2 - no longer available for enrolment

ECS501 Primary Humanities, Societies and Environments - no longer available for enrolment

(i) All units are 1 credit point unless noted otherwise
(ii) EEE404, EEE405, EES540 are 0.75 credit point units
(iii) EEP504 is a 0.50 credit point unit
(iv) EEP501 is a 0.25 credit point unit

Working with Children Check

The Working with Children Act 2005 (Vic.) requires a person who engages in child-related work, as defined in the Act, to obtain an assessment notice under the Act, known as a Working with Children Check (WWCC). The Act is administered by the Department of Justice:

School experience placements in schools in the course of a university degree are “child-related work”.  Under the Working with Children Act 2005 (Vic.), administered by the Department of Justice, a student teacher must obtain a Working with Children Check (WWCC) before commencing school experience placements in a school.  The WWCC must remain current throughout the course.  It is an offence under the Act to engage in school experience without holding a WWCC.

Students will not be allowed to commence school experience in any school in Victoria until a Working with Children Check is obtained.  The Department of Education has requested that on the application form a student nominates the University as the (or one of the) employers.  The University will then be sent a copy of the assessment notice.  Because the University needs to assure a school that a student placed at the school has a current Working with Children Check, each student must give their authority to provide the assurance - a student will be required to sign an authority for the University to inform a school that a WWCC has or has not been obtained.

While the University will hold on file documentation relating to the WWCCs obtained by students engaged in school experience, it is each student’s responsibility to ensure that he or she can produce the WWCC card to the school upon request and to keep the WWCC current under the Act.

Students are required to apply for a WWCC through a participating Australia Post outlet (which can be found on the Australia Post website or the Department of Justice website) and provide proof to the faculty that the WWCC has been undertaken.

Should a student fail to obtain a WWCC, practical training in a school will not be provided, and as practical training is a requirement for completion of a teaching degree, the student may be unable to complete the degree.  Should such a situation arise, the University will provide advice on options for tertiary study.

It is the responsibility of students undertaking placements outside Victoria to enquire about and, where necessary, to meet any similar legislative or other requirements concerning working with children.

Professional Experience requirement

Students are required for registration purposes (and for the award of the degree) to have completed over the duration of their course a minimum of 45 days of supervised school experience. Students should ensure they are conversant with the Standards for Graduating Students as required by the Victorian Institute of Teaching. The school experience is organised by the Professional Experience Office and students do not make contact with schools regarding placements under any circumstances. Students are required to comply with the on-line instructions regarding enrolment/re-enrolment in school experience; failure to enrol/re-enrol jeopardises a student’s school experience placement.

Students should note that it is a requirement of the course that school experience is undertaken in conjunction with their curriculum studies and Education Major studies and during the time tabled dates unless, in exceptional circumstances, alternative arrangements are negotiated and agreed to in writing with the Professional Experience Office. Students should also note that normally any paid or unpaid work undertaken in a school as an unqualified teacher/teacher’s aide will not be recognised for credit as recognised prior learning in supervised school experience for this course. Students may be required to complete the school experience component of the course outside the academic year.

A satisfactory level of teaching competence during supervised school experience is required for award of the degree. An “unsatisfactory” result on any school experience placement will be referred to the Faculty Academic Progress and Discipline Committee.

Graduates of an accredited teaching course should note that teacher registration is required in Victoria and is administered by the Victorian Institute of Teaching under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006 (Vic.). Prospective students should acquaint themselves with the requirements for registration in Victoria or in any other relevant location. These requirements include the ability to satisfy the Standards for Graduating Students (available at:

Professional Experience enrolment

Students need to carefully follow the instructions correctly when enrolling or re-enrolling online in school experience units. Failure to enrol or re-enrol correctly jeopardises a student’s school experience placement and this could lead to a delay in the award of the degree. Students must follow Faculty rules in relation to the number of days of school experience to be completed for each placement as per the Professional Experience Handbook (available from the campus of enrolment) which includes the published school experience timetable. Students should note that a ‘day’ constitutes a whole school day (not part thereof).

Students should obtain a copy of the Professional  Experience Handbook each year from the Professional Experience Office (also available at Information contained in the Handbook is updated annually and is a summary of Faculty rules in relation to school experience.

School Experience units

EEP501Primary School Experience 5A (B, G, X)

X - 25-day block with minimum 3 days per week

EEP504Primary School Experience 5D (X)

X -20-day block with minimum 3 days per week

Special requirements for Cloud (online) students

Campus attendance may be required for some units in the form of vacation schools or weekend schools. It is expected that students will have access to a computer and modem to fully benefit from the Cloud (online) services and course delivery.