Chancellor's Advisory Committee terms of reference, composition and rules of operation
Download a PDF of the Chancellor's Advisory Committee terms of reference, composition and rules of operation.
Terms of reference
Rules of operation
The CAC terms of reference, composition and rules of operation were last approved by Council on 12 October 2006.
Chancellor's Advisory Committee terms of reference
The terms of reference of the Chancellor’s Advisory Committee shall be:
- To advise the Chancellor in regard to matters which the Committee considers need to be dealt with before the next scheduled meeting of Council.
- To advise Council on the maintenance and orderly review of Council membership and to make recommendations to Council on the appointment of members of Council by the Council.
- To make recommendations to the Minister on proposed Government appointed members of Council.
- To make recommendations to Council on the appointment of chairpersons and members of committees of Council.
- To advise Council on and to make recommendations to Council regarding:
- the performance of Council and the terms of reference, composition and rules of operation of committees of Council both generally, and in particular, at the times at which Council and standing committees of Council review their own performance
- the conduct,maintenance and orderly review of Council operations including, but not limited to, the annual review of:
- Council’s obligations and powers under University legislation
- the annual schedule of Council business
- Council Operating Provisions(rules of operations)
- the register of standing Council delegations
- the University’s compliance with the Provider Standards set down by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency
- such further or other corporate governance responsibilities as Council may refer to it.
- To determine the conditions of employment and remuneration of the Vice–Chancellor and advise the Chancellor on an annual basis in confidence as to the performance of the Vice‐Chancellor in the immediately preceding year.
- To receive for consideration not less than annually a a report from the Vice–Chancellor on the conditions of employment and remuneration of University staff and officers, including remuneration, allowances and loadings for and officers of professorial rank or having appointments at Head of School level or above, and general staff classified as Higher Education Worker Grade 10 or above.
- To consider the Vice–Chancellor’s confidential succession plans in respect of members of
the University Executive.
- To ensure that Council is advised on the adequacy of the scope of the University’s high level human resources policies and programs, excluding matters relating to the conduct of industrial relations, and on the appropriateness of their implementation by management,so as to enable Council to satisfy itself that the University is fulfilling its obligations to staff both as regards its employment practices and their general development.
- To consider nominations and make recommendations to Council on honorary awards.
- To advise Council on any matters referred to it by Council and where specifically requested by Council,to act on Council’s behalf in relation to such matters.
Back to top
Chancellor's Advisory Committee composition
The composition of the Chancellor's Advisory Committee shall be:
- The Chancellor (Chair)
- The Deputy Chancellors
- The Vice–Chancellor
- The Chair of Academic Board
- The Council Secretary.
Chancellor's Advisory Committee rules of operation
The Committee shall conduct its business subject to the Operating Provisions for Committees of Council and subject to the following additional provisions:
- For the purpose of considering nominations for honorary awards, the Committee shall be augmented by the addition of the Deputy Chair of the Academic Board together with another academic nominated by that Board and the staff member appointed to Council. In this capacity the Committee shall be known as the Honorary Degrees Committee.
- For the purpose of terms of reference 6(b) and 6(c), the Committee’s composition will be the Chancellor, the Deputy Chancellors, the Vice–Chancellor and the Chair and Deputy Chair of the Finance and Business Affairs Committee. In this capacity the Committee shall be known as the Remuneration Committee.
- For the purpose of term of reference 6(a), the Committee’s composition will be limited to the Chancellor and the Deputy Chancellors. In this capacity the Committee shall be known as the Remuneration Subcommittee.
Back to top
Back to the Chancellor's Advisory Committee