A stand-out job application begins with research. Research the organisation and the role you are applying for so that you can tailor your application to the employer's needs.
To sell yourself as the right candidate, you need to be able to persuade the employer that you are the perfect fit. To do this you need to know as much as you can about the organisation.
Researching the employer will help you to:
- Decide which employers are the right fit for you
- Get an employer's attention
- Prove your interest
- Sell your application
- Network or get work experience
- Answer interview questions confidently
Where do I start?
Read it thoroughly as employers find it frustrating to be asked information already available to you.
Look for useful information in trade and industry publications. Use internet searches and library back issues.
Look for current and expired job listings by the organisation to learn about common attributes they seek in staff.
You'll be surprised who and what they know.
What to look for?
- Organisation structure and number of employees
- Service areas, innovations and new products
- Organisational culture and values
- Opportunities to add to the organisation's knowledge or expertise