Applications for Trimester 1 2023 open 1 September 2022.
Applications for Trimester 1 2023 close 9 January 2023 at 5pm.
Scholarship offer rounds
Round 1: To be considered for these Round 1 scholarship offers you will need to submit your application and all supporting documentation by 9 January 2023 at 5pm.
We will be aiming for full allocation at this round.
Re-offer Round: To be considered for any remaining scholarships, not taken up in previous offer rounds, you will need to submit your application and all supporting documentation by 2 February 2023 at 5pm.
All scholarships will be offered within six weeks of the Re-offer round closing date.
Various options for support are available:
- $10,000 per year for the normal duration of your course ($1250 per credit point) or
- $7500 per year for the normal duration of your course ($937.50 per credit point) or
- $5000 per year for the normal duration of your course ($625 per credit point)
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must be:
- an Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen, Australian permanent resident or hold an Australian permanent humanitarian visa
- enrolled in an associate, bachelor or honours degree in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) or postgraduate by coursework degree (CSP or full fee)
- enrolled at Deakin University in Trimester 1 2023
- enrolled full time unless there are circumstances preventing full-time study
- experiencing an area of hardship.
Areas of hardship
The Deakin Achieving Potential Scholarship is aimed to provide support for students experiencing hardship.
Areas of hardship include:
- financial hardship – be receiving a means-tested Centrelink benefit or be able to demonstrate personal or family taxable income below $56,000, depending on independence status
- rural, regional or remote home location
- disability/long term medical condition
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background
- arrive in Australia as a refugee
- other demonstrable hardship.
Recipients of this scholarship, may be asked to participate in donor engagement activities as would be considered reasonable. Details of these activities will be included within the scholarship offer letter.
These engagement opportunities are important so supporters who donate to the Scholarship Fund can learn more about the impact of their giving, and students can learn more about the people who are helping to support their education ambitions.
As part of the application process you will also be required to upload supporting documentation.
Make sure you choose the correct document type when you upload your documents as it will make a difference. If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect type they will not be considered when assessing your application. Remember it is quality, not quantity, which you need to provide. Aim to provide documents which are current, relevant and concise.
The supporting documentation required includes:
- evidence of your financial hardship (if applicable)
- evidence of your medical condition (if applicable)
Applying for a scholarship isn't just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It's a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, it’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and be recognised for where you’ve come from and where you need to go.
How to apply
Apply through VTAC
If you’ve applied to study at Deakin through VTAC and have completed a VTAC scholarship application, you’ll be considered for this scholarship.
Apply directly to Deakin
All other applicants can apply for this scholarship directly to Deakin through our Scholarship Application Portal.
When applying direct to Deakin for this scholarship, select either the 'Undergraduate Scholarship Application Tri/Sem 1 2023' or the 'Postgraduate Scholarship Application Tri/Sem 1 2023' option and, if eligible, your application will automatically be considered for this scholarship.
This reduces the number of scholarships you have to apply for and increases your chances of receiving a Deakin scholarship.
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
What happens next?
Your application will be assessed and ranked based on the details you provide and your supporting documentation.
We will commence offering scholarships progressively from mid-January 2023. To give your application the best chance possible of being considered in all offer rounds, you should submit your application and supporting documentation by 9 January 2022 at 5pm.
If you are successful, you will be contacted by the email address you nominated in your application portal account, unsuccessful applicants will not be contacted. You'll find out if you are successful usually within six weeks of the Re-offer round closing date. If you have not received an offer by this time, you have been unsuccessful. You can view the status of your application via your scholarship application portal account.
Next offering period
This scholarship is yet to be confirmed for any future offering periods. Please check back at this page at a later date for any updates.