Dr Yamini Narayanan
|Position:||Senior Research Fellow |
|Faculty or Division:||Faculty of Arts and Education|
|Department:||Alf Deak RI Citizen & Global|
|Campus:||Melbourne Burwood Campus|
|Phone:||+61 3 924 46808 +61 3 924 46808|
• Board of Directors, International Sustainable Development Research Society [ISDRS] (July 2013-ongoing)
• Conference Director of the 4th International Conference of the Society for the Study of Religion, Nature and Culture [ISSRNC], 16-19 December 2010 at the University of Western Australia, Perth.
Subjects and units currently teaching
AID 714 - Gender and Development
ASD 712 - Monitoring and Evaluation
• Religion and development
• South Asia/Indian cities
• Women and development
• Gender and urban development/planning
Awards and prizes
SCHOLARSHIPS AND GRANTS
• Perth Convention Bureau Early Career Development Scholarship - $10,000, May 2012
• University of Oslo Honorarium for CERES21 research article (KOK 10,000), February 2011
• Alfred Deakin Research Institute, Deakin University, Research Funding Support (July 2013) - $4423
Refereed journal articles
1. Narayanan, Y. (2014, online 2013). Quo Vadis, Delhi? Historical heritage and gender: towards a sustainable urban future. International Journal of Heritage Studies, 20(5). [ERA ranking 2010 - A; ISI Journal citation ranking in Social Sciences and Interdisciplinary - 37/98; IF - 0.806]
2. Narayanan, Y. (2013). Religion and Sustainability: Exploring the Critical Connections. Sustainable Development, 21(2), 131-139. [ISI Journal citation ranking in Planning and Development - 24/54; IF - 1.043; Special Issue: 'Critical Perspectives on Sustainable Development', eds. Michael Redclift and Delyse Springett].
3. Narayanan, Y. (2013, forthcoming). Inspiring Sustainability Beyond Sustainability: Sustainable Development and the Ultimate Hindu Purpose. Nature and Culture, 8 (3). [Indexed in ISI-Thomson Reuters' Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) and SCOPUS; ISI IF: 0.514; invited by Prof. Nina Witozsek, Adjunct Professor, Stanford University for a Special Issue: 'Religious Innovation for a Sustainable Future: Perspectives from Norway, Ghana, China and India']
4. Narayanan, Y. (2012). Violence Against Women in Delhi: A Sustainability Problematic. Journal of South Asian Development, 7 (1), 1-22. [ISI Journal citation ranking in Planning and Development - 50/54; IF - 0.273]
5. Narayanan, Y. (2010). Sustainable Consumption as a Means to Self-Realisation: A Hindu Perspective on When Enough is Enough. Sustainable Development, 18 (5), 252-259. [ISI Journal citation ranking in Planning and Development - 24/54; IF - 1.043; Special Issue: 'Sustainable Architecture, Design and Housing', ed. Martina Keitsch].
6. Narayanan, Y. and Macbeth, J. (2009). Deep in the Desert: Merging the Desert and the Spiritual through 4WD Tourism. Tourism Geographies: An International Journal of Tourism Space, Place and Environment, 11 (3), 369-389. [IF - 0.840]
7. Narayanan, Y, Marinova, D. and Kenworthy, J. (2005). In A City Like Delhi: Urban Spirituality, Sustainability and Women. Portal: Journal of Multidisciplinary International Studies, 3 (1), 1-22. [ERA ranking 2010 - A]
Scholarly book chapters
1. Narayanan, Y. (2014, forthcoming). Theorising Religion, Gender and Sustainable Development. Routledge International Handbook on Sustainable Development (ed. by Michael Redclift and Delyse Springett). Routledge.
2. Narayanan, Y. (2014, forthcoming). ‘Urbanisation’. Vocabulary for the Study of Religion (Ed. by Robert Segal and Kocku von Stuckrad). Leiden: Brill.
3. Narayanan, Y. (2013). Religious symbolism and the politics of urban space development: The case of Manushi Swachha Narayani in Delhi city. Handbook of Research on Development and Religion (ed. by Matthew Clarke). Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd., 326-337.
4. Macbeth, J. and Narayanan, Y. (2009). Entrepreneurship and Sustainable Tourism: The Global Gypsies Approach, Making Ecopreneurs: Developing Sustainable Entrepreneurship, 2nd Ed (ed. by Michael Schaper). Aldershot: Ashgate, 239-254.
1. Higginbottom, K., Moore, S., Carter, R.W., Rodger, K. and Narayanan, Y. (2010). Current Practices in Monitoring and Reporting on Sustainability of Visitor Use of Protected Areas. Alice Springs: Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research Centre.
2. Rossetto, A., Lee, D. and Narayanan, Y. (2007). Tourism Investment in Australia: The Potential for China and India. A report to the Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources, Australian Government.