Working with Children Check

The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (Victoria) requires all student teachers to hold a current Working With Children Check (WWCC) before being allowed to undertake placement in schools/ educational workplaces in Victoria.

WWCC cards are valid for five years and pre-service teachers will not be allowed to complete placement if they cannot produce a WWCC card, or a WWCC application receipt, on arrival at the school/educational workplace (and as requested thereafter).

Failure to comply with these requirements will jeopardise a student's enrolment in the course.

If you do not have a Working With Children (WWC) Check

To obtain a Working With Children Check, complete the application form on the Working with Children Check Website.

Notes on completing the Working With Children Check Application:

  • The Type of application is "Volunteer" (no fee)
  • For 'Occupational work codes', enter the following numbers: 26, 44, 46, 48, 50 and 52.
  • Provide the following information for Organisation Details:

    Burwood Students
    Professional Experience Office
    Faculty of Arts and Education
    Deakin University
    Burwood, VIC, 3125
    Phone: 03 92443831

    Geelong Students and Warrnambool Students
    Professional Experience Office
    Faculty of Arts and Education
    Deakin University
    Geelong, VIC, 3216
    Phone: 03 52271470

Application Receipt

When you lodge the WWCC form at a participating Australia Post outlet you will be sent an application receipt via email. This email receipt is proof that you have lodged an application for a WWCC. A copy of the email must be forwarded along with your name and student number to the Deakin University Professional Experience Office.

Your Working With Children Check Card

A WWCC card will be sent to you (this can take a number of weeks). Immediately upon receipt of the card you are required to provide a photocopy of the card to the Deakin University Professional Experience Office. It is your responsibility to ensure that your WWCC is valid at all times throughout your enrolment and to provide the card upon request at placement.

If you already have a valid Working With Children (WWC) Check from a previous employer

If You Already Have A WWC Check Card, this check may be used for professional experience purposes. A clear copy of the card must be provided to Deakin University Professional Experience Office. See below details of how to lodge this information.

As Deakin University Professional Experience Office must be added to the list of organisations to be notified with the Department of Justice, you will need to update this information on the Working with Children Check Website.

How to provide your WWCC details

Due date for lodging WWCC information at the Professional Experience Office: FRIDAY, 17 MARCH 2017.

  • In person (Burwood campus): Professional Experience Office, Building N, room N1.014

           (Waurn Ponds campus for Geelong, Warnambool and Off campus students): Professional Experience Office, Building ic, room 3.124

How to upload your WWCC card details to InPlace:

  • Log on to InPlace:
  • Under the ‘Details’ tab, scroll down to the “Working With Children Check upload (from 2017)” field.
  • Upload a clear photo or scan of the front of your WWCC card by selecting Browse… Find file, Upload and Save.
  • Verified Status will default to No as this is yet to be verified.
  • Once the Professional Experience Office has verified, this will change to Yes.

Please note: The “WWCC Status / Expiry” and “WWCC or VIT Number” fields will be updated by the Professional Experience Office and your WWCC status will remain as ‘Please submit a copy of your Working With Children Check receipt or card to the Professional Experience Office’until verification is complete.

  • If the uploaded document is rejected, you will be alerted to this on your InPlace home screen.
Page custodian: Faculty of Arts & Education
Last updated: