Why choose Deakin?
Deakin is a multi-award winning university with an international focus. We are young and innovative, offering excellent facilities and flexible learning.
- Leading the way
- Highest level of student satisfaction
- Careers and experience, not just courses
- Flexible learning to suit you
- Convenient locations and modern facilities
Leading the way
Deakin is forging a new path both locally and globally as a leading provider of innovative learning and a positive university experience. We are proud to be in the top 3 per cent of universities across all three of the major international university ranking systems (the Academic Ranking of World Universities, Times Higher Education World University Rankings and QS World University Rankings), assessed from 17 000 universities worldwide.
Our current achievements include:
- ranked in the world's top 50 universities under 50 years of age – QS World University Rankings
- 5 stars out of 5 for student retention – The Good Universities Guide
- 5 stars out of 5 for overall satisfaction – The Good Universities Guide
- named International Education Provider of the Year, and won awards for Excellence in Education (University) and Excellence in International Education (Student Employability and Careers) at the Victorian International Education Awards 2014
- ranked in the top 400 in The Academic Ranking of World Universities
- ranked number 325 in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- ranked number 360 in the QS World University Rankings
- Deakin's education discipline ranked 23 in the world – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2014
- Deakin's MBA and Bachelor of Commerce are internationally recognised and EPAS accredited by the European Foundation for Management Development
- 5 star rating for our MBA from the Graduate Management Association of Australia and QS accreditation
- five Deakin staff members awarded Citations for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning at the 2013 Office for Learning and Teaching's Australian Awards for University Teaching
- receiving the top ranking of five – defined as well above world standard – in seven fields of research and a ranking of four – defined as above world standard – in 11 fields of research in the most recent Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) rankings
- winning seven Linkage awards in the latest Australian Research Council Outcomes for 2014 funding. This represented a success rate of 43.8 per cent against a national average success rate of 35.9 per cent and the funds awarded totalled more than $2.5m
- awarded two Australian Research Council Future Fellowships, a success rate of 33.3 per cent, which was well above the national average of 18 per cent and was the highest success rate of any Victorian university
- awarded the Victoria's Exporter of the Year award in Education and Training at the Governor of Victoria Export Awards.
Highest level of student satisfaction
For five consecutive years, Deakin has achieved the highest level of overall student satisfaction amongst Victorian universities. These great results are based on 2010–2014 Australian Graduate Survey responses to 'Overall Satisfaction' amongst bachelor's degree graduates.
The 2012 Beyond Graduation Survey found that, of our 2009 bachelor's degree graduates who were available for full-time employment:
- 95.2 per cent of those surveyed were employed full-time three years after graduating, (the national average is 92.2 per cent)
- only 1.6 per cent of those surveyed were not working three years after graduating, (the national average is 3.4 per cent).
Deakin has over 50,000 students, with a third choosing to study online.
The Beyond Graduation Survey is conducted by Graduate Careers Australia (GCA).
Careers and experience, not just courses
We make it a priority to maintain close industry relationships so that everything you learn is modern and relevant to your future career. Many of our courses offer professional accreditation and endorsement through a range of industry placements and internship programs.
Deakin also actively encourages students to make the most of study abroad opportunities. We have over 100 partner universities in more than 40 countries around the world.
Flexible learning to suit you
Studying shouldn't mean that you have to put the rest of your life on hold, that's why Deakin has tailored our enrolment modes to give you flexibility. With a number of subjects and courses offered through Deakin’s Cloud Campus, you can learn when and wherever you need to.
Convenient locations and modern facilities
Deakin has four great campuses throughout Victoria, Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waterfront, Geelong Waurn Ponds and Warrnambool. Each location provides a unique study experience and gives our students access to the latest tools and technologies such as the Deakin Motion.Lab and the Geelong Technology Precinct. Regional and outer metropolitan residents can also benefit from our Deakin learning centres.
As a Deakin student you can choose to undertaken different units of study within your course at different campuses, depending on your course rules. Contact a Deakin course adviser for more information.