Higher degree by research domestic fees

If you're a domestic student and you're undertaking a higher degree by research (HDR) at Deakin, you won't have to pay any course fees.

How will I be funded?

The Government's Research Training Program (RTP) provides funding to domestic – and some international – students to support higher degree by research studies. It is administered by individual universities on behalf of the Department of Education and Training. The RTP is offered to top-ranking applicants.

Deakin University Postgraduate Research (DUPR) scholarships are funded by Deakin University.

Both awards are available to domestic and international students.

They can be used to:

  • offset tuition fees
    cover ancillary cost of research degrees.

They can also be used to support general living costs.

Find out more about RTP and DUPR scholarships

How do I apply?

You application for an RTP place is submitted automatically when you apply for a HDR course at Deakin.

Find out more about our higher degrees by research

Scholarships for you

There are a range of scholarships available for higher degree by research students offered by Deakin and external bodies.

To be competitive for a research scholarship you'll need to have a H1 grade average or equivalent. Please see individual scholarship terms and conditions for further information.

Discover which scholarship is right for you

Becoming a research student at Deakin

Our PhD Xtra program gives you the chance to join approximately 1700 higher degree by research students in taking advantage of our exceptional facilities, strategic partnerships, innovative research centres and excellent reputation.

Learn more about becoming a Deakin research student