Commonwealth supported places and fee-paying places

As a domestic Deakin student, you’ll either be in a CSP or a fee-paying place. We’ll help you figure out the differences, as well as which one applies to you.

Commonwealth supported place

A Commonwealth supported place (CSP) is a place in a course where the University receives some funding from the Australian Government.

If you're offered a CSP, you'll only need to contribute part of the cost of your course. This is referred to as the 'student contribution', and varies depending on the units you enrol in.


To be offered a CSP, you must meet the eligibility criteria. Most undergraduate courses and some postgraduate courses offer CSPs. Check the eligibility of your course under Fees and scholarships of your individual course page.

Browse courses

To be eligible for a CSP you must:

  • be an Australian citizen, an eligible New Zealand citizen or the holder of a permanent visa
  • meet the relevant citizenship and residency requirements
  • enrol in your units by the census date
  • finalise your student contribution payment arrangements
  • complete a request for HECS/FEE-HELP as part of your enrolment.

Fee-paying place

The University does not receive any government funding for fee-paying places. Students enrolled in fee-paying places contribute the full cost of their course.

If you are not eligible for a CSP, you will be offered a fee-paying place. The tuition fees you are charged will depend on the units you enrol in, the study discipline the units belong to and the year you commence.

As a domestic fee-paying student you may be eligible to defer payment of your fees through the Australian Government FEE-HELP loan scheme. Your employer may also consider assisting with the cost of study if the course is related to your current position.

Find out more about FEE-HELP