HECS-HELP is a loan scheme from the Australian Government to cover the student contribution of your tuition fees if you're in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP).

What the loan covers

HECS-HELP provides you with a loan to cover your tuition fees, also known as your student contribution.

If you are enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP), meet the eligibility criteria and would prefer to defer your tuition fees, you can apply for HECS-HELP.

By taking out a HECS-HELP loan, the Australian Government pays your tuition fees directly to Deakin. You repay your HECS-HELP loan from your employment income – but only once you're earning over $48,361.

The loan doesn’t cover your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF), but if you're eligible, you can use SA-HELP to defer this fee.

Who is eligible?

You must:

  • be an Australian citizen, an eligible New Zealand citizen or hold a permanent humanitarian visa
  • meet residency requirements
  • be studying part of your course in Australia
  • meet the tax file number (TFN) requirements by providing your TFN or a certificate of application for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
  • be enrolled in a Commonwealth supported place (CSP).

Learn more about CSPs and fee-paying places

How it works

There are different options for paying your student contribution with HECS-HELP.

  • Take out a HECS-HELP loan to defer the full amount of the student contribution of your tuition fees.
  • Pay some of your student contribution upfront and receive a HECS-HELP loan to defer the remaining balance.

As a third option, you can pay all of your student contribution upfront to Deakin and not use a HECS-HELP loan. You can change your decision at any time before the census date.

If you use HECS-HELP, the government will pay the loan amount directly to Deakin on your behalf and a HECS-HELP debt is recorded for you with the ATO. You'll then be issued with an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN) each study period detailing any amount owed to the ATO.

HECS-HELP applies for the duration of your course. If you temporarily suspend your studies your HECS-HELP status will remain in place. If you transfer to another course you'll need to complete a new HECS-HELP form.

How to apply

To apply for HECS-HELP, complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) on StudentConnect when you enrol.

On the form, you'll need to elect to pay your fees upfront or to defer. If you elect to defer your fees your student contributions will be reported through the Department of Education to the ATO so you can start paying your loan back when your income reaches the threshold set by the government.

Paying upfront

If you elect to pay your fees upfront, the full amount of your student contribution will show as owing on your invoice. You can make payments of any amount as long as it's before the invoice due date. You can also enter your TFN so that if you can't pay your fees by the invoice due date, they'll defer to HECS-HELP.

More information

To find out more about HECS-HELP loans, eligibility and repayments, explore the Study Assist website.

Visit the Study Assist website