Organising your visa is an important part of studying at Deakin. We have resources and staff who can help you understand your visa and requirements and support you through your application process.

What sort of visa you'll need

Most international students will be on a Student Visa (Subclass 500). There may be special circumstances when a student is allowed to study on another visa, such as a bridging visa or other temporary residence visas. It's important that you know what type of visa you are on so that you can meet the requirements of that visa.

If you currently hold another visa that has study rights, you will be required to apply for a student visa if you intend to study a course longer than the study right granted on that visa. The Department of Home Affairs can provide the most current and accurate information about visa eligibility and requirements.

If you are a parent or a guardian accompanying a student while they study, you will most likely require a Student Guardian Visa (Subclass 590).

Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for more information about visa types.

How to apply for your visa

The first step is to apply for your Deakin degree. You can apply online or through a Deakin representative in your country.

Once you accept your offer, you will receive a confirmation of enrolment (CoE).

Before you apply for your student visa, you will need:

  • a valid passport
  • an electronic confirmation of enrolment (CoE)
  • to be able to pay for visa application fees
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the length of your course end date on your CoE plus additional 2 months^
  • all the documents required of your visa application.

^Please note: If the course end date on your CoE for the principal course, is ending at the end of Australian academic year (November to December), you are required to purchase your OSHC until 15 March of the following year.

For more information about documents you require for your visa application, visit the Department of Home Affairs website and speak with your agent.

Find out more about confirmation of enrolment

Learn more about support in your country or region

Your student visa conditions

On a student visa, you must be enrolled and studying in Australia in each compulsory study period, which means, you must be studying on-campus prior to the start of each compulsory study period until the end of the exam period.

Your visa will come with certain conditions.

As international student on a student visa, you must comply with the following:

  • maintain enrolment in a CRICOS registered course (maintain a valid confirmation of enrolment CoE in the same AQF level your visa was granted)
  • complete your course in the timeframe listed on your CoE
  • maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the whole time you're in Australia
  • inform your education provider your residential address within 7 days of arrival, including any change of your contact details within 7 days of the change.
  • maintain adequate arrangements for the education of your school-age dependents,
  • not exceeding allowable work hours
  • complete 6 enrolled calendar months in your principal course or apply for a release before transferring to another education provider (please see Release and refund guidelines).

There may be other conditions, depending on what type of visa you have. You will need to check your conditions and make sure you meet them at all times so that your visa stays valid while you are in Australia.

Studying your degree online

You can take up to one third (or equivalent) of your course units online if you are an international student.

This is calculated from your total course points, after any recognition of prior learning points are deducted.

For more information, please visit the online study page.

Taking a break from studying

If you need to take a break from studying, you can apply for an intermission or a short term leave of absence.


An intermission is an approved break from study, generally lasting for the remainder of your trimester or the whole of your next trimester (for up to two consecutive trimesters).

You can apply for intermission if you are experiencing illness, a death in the family, or another serious circumstance that is beyond your control.

You are able to remain in Australia while on intermission. You are also permitted to work while on intermission.

You can always discuss your circumstances with the team at Student Central for advice.

More information about intermission

Short-term leave of absence

A short-term leave of absence is a break of up to 10 working days during trimester.

You can apply for a short-term leave of absence if you need to:

  • return home for short-term medical treatment
  • attend a wedding or a funeral
  • deal with a family problem that requires your presence
  • tend to the illness or death of a family member.

Taking leave could affect the status of your visa or confirmation of enrolment – you can always discuss your circumstances with the team at Student Central for advice about taking a break from your studies.

Working on a student visa

Student visa holders can work up to 48 hours per fortnight in a trimester when their course is in session. If work experience is a compulsory requirement of your course, these hours will not count towards your maximum 48 work hours per fortnight.

During trimesters when you are not studying and are on a trimester/semester break, you can work as much as you want. You can view Deakin’s trimester/semester break on the Handbooks webpage.

Find out about working as an international student

For up-to-date information about working in Australia, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Changing your enrolment

You might be able to change your degree – it depends on the type of degree you applied for and the type of visa you have been granted.

Changing your degree could change the status of your visa. It is a good idea to discuss your plans with the team at Student Central who are ready to assist you if you are considering changing your enrolment.

Read more about changing degrees on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Read more about your confirmation of enrolment

Your family and your student visa

You may be able to bring your family with you when you come to Australia on a student visa.

The people who are eligible to come with you are:

  • your children
  • your partner
  • your parent or guardian.

There is a lot to consider if you and your family move to Australia – like finding a school for your children. There may also be certain conditions that your family will have to meet while they are here.

Find out more about bringing your family to Australia on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Get help or contact Deakin

Our friendly advisers are available to speak to you one-on-one about your study options, support services for international students and how we can help you study at Deakin in Australia.

Phone: +61 3 9918 9188

Enquire online