If you need a break from your studies due to compassionate or compelling circumstances, you can apply for intermission and keep your place in your course.
What is intermission?
Intermission is an approved break from your study. It can be a whole trimester or, if applied for after a trimester begins, the remainder of a current trimester. You can apply for intermission on the grounds of compassionate or compelling circumstances, such as serious illness or death of a family member or in the case of compelling circumstances, something that is beyond your control for which you can provide evidence.
While on intermission you can remain in Australia, and you are permitted to work.
Apply for intermission
You can apply for intermission in StudentConnect. During the application process you will be:
- contacted by a student adviser for further information
- asked to provide supporting documents
- asked to complete an International Students Intermission Form (PDF, 144KB)
- advised of the outcome within ten working days.
If your application is approved, your current Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) will be cancelled, and you will be issued a new CoE for the trimester in which you intend to recommence your study.
Higher Degree by Research students
If you are a HDR student looking to intermit please refer to information on changes to candidature.
Need to take a shorter break?
International students are required to be in Australia and studying on campus prior to the start of each compulsory study period.
You can apply for a short-term leave of absence if you need to attend a wedding overseas, return home to visit a sick relative or have a minor medical procedure during a compulsory study period. You will need to apply for a short-term leave of absence if you intend:
- to take up to ten days during a compulsory study period
- to return to Australia within 10 days from the start of the trimester.
Please speak with a student adviser about applying for a short-term leave of absence.
Apply for a short-term leave of absence
When you apply online for a short-term leave of absence you will need to upload the following documentation:
- A copy of your air ticket showing departure and return dates.
- A statement indicating the reason for your intended leave of absence.
- Any other documentary evidence to support your grounds for short-term leave of absence
Leave of absence is not available during exam periods.
You will be advised of the outcome by email within 5 business days. Please keep this email with you when you return to Australia as proof of your leave.
It is your responsibility to ensure you meet the conditions of your visa. You can find all the information you need on the Department of Home Affairs website.
Have further questions?
Please contact a student adviser at Student Central.