Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Work, consumer and tenant rights and responsibilities

Australian laws promote quality protection and consumer protection for international students.

Work, consumer and tenant rights and responsibilities

Find our more about your rights and responsibilities and where to get help.

These laws are known as the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) framework. The ESOS framework outlines your rights and responsibilities as well as services that Australian education providers must provide to you as an international student.

You have both legal rights and responsibilities while studying in Australia.

Your legal rights and responsibilities

If you get into trouble with the law, it’s important to understand what options are available to you. You have access to Deakin Student Legal Service or you can seek advice from private lawyers (which can be expensive), Community Legal Centres (advice is free, but in most cases, they are unable to represent you in court), or Victoria Legal Aid (advice is free, but representation is means-tested which could impact your eligibility).

Deakin Student Legal Service

The Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) offers free legal advice to all students. If you need legal assistance contact Deakin Student Legal Service.

Your workplace rights

If you intend to work while in Australia, it's important to understand your workplace rights, such as your pay, working conditions and health and safety. You should access and read the following resources to ensure you know your workplace rights while working in Australia.

Remember to contact DUSA Deakin Student Legal Service if you need legal assistance.

Tenancy or rental information

Find out more about your rights and responsibilities as a renter in Victoria.

Key international student visa resources

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.