Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Need help or support

Deakin provides a wide range of support services to help you succeed in your studies. Following is information on what type of support is available for research degree students.


Your main source of academic support will be your supervisor(s). In addition, the University provides a range of additional academic skills support through areas such as:

  • A range of research training is provided by the Graduate Research Academy for the benefit of research degree students in addition to other study skills support. The training is also available online where it can be taken at anytime. Workshop materials including orientation, induction, confirmation, networking, time management, presentation skills, and reaching the end can be found in the PhD Xtra Research Student Training CloudDeakin site.
  • HDR Study skills – assistance with study skills and writing in English.

Careers advice

Deakin offers students a range of services and advice relating to careers and employment.


Support to attend conferences is normally provided through faculties, schools or institutes. You should contact the HDR Coordinator in your area.

The University also offers support through the prestigious Neil Archbold Memorial Travel Award and Medal. Each year the two candidates with the best refereed journal paper receive travel funding.

Deakin Digital Services

Digital Services provides core information and communication technology (ICT) services and support to the Deakin community. Visit the research degree IT top tips webpage for loads of useful IT information for research degree students.

Student Services

Student Services supports students in a number of ways, including:

  • Study support
  • Career support
  • Counselling and personal support
  • Medical services
  • Financial support
  • Religious services
  • Disability support
  • Fees
  • Records
  • Graduations
  • Customer service

Contact Student Central for support or more information.

Doctoral Partnerships Scheme

Doctoral Partnerships Scheme students include DIRI (Deakin Indian Research Initiative), TERI (The Energy Research Institute) and other international in-country students. Living allowance and conference travel details differ to those of other international students.

Answers to questions relating to the optional Australian visit can be found on the Doctoral Partnerships Scheme FAQs (frequently asked questions) page.

Equity, Diversity and Inclusion

Equity, Diversity and Inclusion staff can provide advice and information about concerns relating to equity, disability support services, student access and equity programs, and resolving complaints about discrimination, harassment and bullying.

International students

International student support provides advice and assistance with personal issues, taking a break from studies and life in Australia.

The Australian Government has developed an Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) framework which incorporates a National Code, as part of Australian law to protect international students. It has a number of standards, regulating how universities market their courses, select students, enrol and support students, monitor their progress and deal with any complaints or concerns. For all queries on the Code or concerns arising from it, please email us.

A range of support is available for international research degree students. You can also visit our international compliance and visas page to find valuable information and answers to commonly asked questions.

More international student support


Deakin's Library offers extensive support to research students, including the assistance of Liaison Librarians to assist you with finding materials relevant to your project.

Minimum resources for research degree students

Deakin provides research students with the resources they need to undertake their project. The minimum resources are specified in Table 2 of the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Admission, Selection and Enrolment procedure.


Funding is available to support travel to conferences and for other research-related activities. This is mostly provided by faculties, schools and institutes. For information on the support available and how to apply:

All students who are traveling overseas on University business are required to arrange overseas travel insurance. Overseas Travel Insurance is comprehensive insurance that includes cover for medical expenses and extends to cover items such as cancellation expenses and personal belongings. Cover under Deakin's travel insurance policy must be arranged by submitting an online overseas travel insurance request through the Overseas Travel Insurance for Students webpage. This will automatically generate an email to the Insurance Risk Officer. An email will then be sent confirming insurance if applicable. You may also need to arrange private insurance cover depending on how many leisure days are included in the trip.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Deakin Research