Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Grievances and problems

If you experience problems during your candidature, it is important that they are tackled promptly so that progress is not unduly delayed. In general, problems are best solved without recourse to formal complaint. You should also attempt to resolve problems at the local level if possible.

The first contact is normally your supervisor.

Other people you may contact within the faculty are:

  • School HDR coordinator or associate head of school (research).
  • Head of school.
  • Other members of the school.
  • Faculty HDR coordinator or associate dean (research).
  • Pro Vice-Chancellor of the faculty.

The following people outside the faculty can also be approached:

  • HDR candidature manager.
  • Executive officer, HDR.
  • Pro Vice-Chancellor (research development and training).

See the HDR contacts page or your relevant faculty page for contact details.

If you are dissatisfied with a decision of your faculty or the research and research training committee, you may submit a written request to the committee to review the decision. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the review, it may be possible to request that the decision be considered by the HDR appeals committee. The HDR academic progress procedures gives a description of the appeals process and the allowable grounds for an appeal. You are welcome to seek informal advice or assistance from the Deakin University Student Association (DUSA).

If you wish to make a formal complaint about another matter, please refer to student complaints.

Counselling and advice on non-academic matters can be sought from DUSA.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Deakin Research