Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Unique Student Identifier

Your Unique Student Identifier (USI) is your lifelong education number with the Australian Government.

Unique Student Identifier

What is a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

A USI is your individual education number for life with the Australian Government. If you've studied in the TAFE sector before, you may already have one and they are now being used in Universities as well. All higher education students need a USI to graduate. Domestic students also need a USI to be eligible for Commonwealth assistance. The types of assistance include a Commonwealth supported place (CSP) and HELP loans such as HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP, SA-HELP, OS-HELP etc.

Do I need one?

All domestic students will require a USI in order to receive Commonwealth financial assistance (Commonwealth supported place and/or HELP loan/s) and to graduate. International students studying in Australia will also require a USI for graduation purposes.

How do I get a USI?

If you don't have a USI, you can create one through the Australian Government site Get a USI. Make sure that when you create your USI, you record your name correctly so that when you verify it with Deakin, your details match. This process will take around five minutes to complete. If you have previously studied TAFE in Australia, you may already have a USI. You can use Find your USI to retrieve it.

How do I provide my USI to Deakin?

When you login to StudentConnect, you can save and verify your USI under ‘personal details’ on the left-hand side menu.

What if I don't provide a verified USI by the required deadline?

Failing to provide us with your USI by the nominated deadline may result in your enrolment being cancelled and you being unable to study your course at Deakin. You will not be permitted to graduate until you provide Deakin with your USI.

Find out more

Watch the video below to find our more or visit the Australian Government USI website.

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.