Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Change your enrolment

If you need to make changes to your enrolment, here's some information to assist on how to add, drop or change units or make a course change. We recommend you seek advice before making changes.

Change your enrolment

On this page

Add, drop or change units

Course advice

You should always seek advice from a student adviser before making any changes to your enrolment. Enrolment variations must adhere to your course and unit rules and a student adviser can help you make the change, or link you to study support to keep you on track.

If you have any difficulty changing your enrolment online then you should seek advice from a Student Adviser and submit an Enrolment Variation form (PDF, 243.1KB) to them.

Full-time or part-time study

With most courses you have the option to switch your study load between part time and full time by changing the number of units you are enrolled in.

Each unit (subject) is generally worth one credit point. If you're enrolled in three or more credit points in a trimester or semester, you're considered a full time student. Any less and you’re considered a part time student.

Changing your enrolment load from full time to part time will have implications on Austudy, Abstudy or Youth Allowance If you currently receive one of these allowances please refer to the Department of Human Services website for more information.

Where to add, drop or change units

If you want to change your enrolment at any time, you must vary your enrolment online in StudentConnect. You cannot drop a unit verbally, either in-person or over the phone.

When your unit changes has been saved in StudentConnect, you'll see a receipt on the screen.

Dates to change units by

It is important to be aware of the dates for adding and deleting units for each trimester. These dates affect the result for the unit and determine if fees are payable. Check important dates for your study period to view the last day to withdraw or add units, and how withdrawal dates and penalties may affect your fees and your academic transcript.

Withdrawal dates and refund amounts for domestic students

Withdrawal and refund dates for (commencing) international students in their first study period

Withdrawal and refund dates for current (continuing) international students

Academic implications when withdrawing from units

If you withdraw early from a unit before the census date, with a status of WE (Withdrawn Early), the unit will not appear on your academic transcript.

If you withdraw after census date you will receive either a WL (Withdrawn Late) or WN (Withdrawn Fail) depending on the date.

Fee implications when withdrawing from units

If you vary your enrolment, your tuition fees and the Student Services and Amenities Fee (if applicable) may be reassessed. You can check your fees through your invoice in StudentConnect. If you have incurred a fee by withdrawing late, you may wish to apply for a remission of debt in special circumstances or a refund of credit balance where applicable if you withdraw from units after the census dates. Visit the fees webpage to find out more.

Overloading units

Overloading is the enrolment in more credit points in a study period than would normally be permitted in a full-time study load. You may request to overload a particular study period however, you must demonstrate capacity to succeed and meet specific criteria.

More about overloading units and how to apply

Waive a prerequisite or corequisite

If you wish to undertake a unit without having completed the prerequisite or corequisite unit, you may request to waiver the unit.

More about waiving a prerequisite or corequisite and how to apply

Make a course change

Apply for a course transfer

Intermit (suspend) your course

Discontinue your course

Study abroad and exchange students

Outbound students

If you are currently on exchange at one of Deakin's partner universities, and wish to alter your enrolment, you will need to contact your faculty office. You must notify Deakin and the host institution in writing within the appropriate timeframes for both institutions and complete another enrolment form. Failure to do so may result in financial liability and/or a grade failure.

Inbound exchange students

To change units, you will need approval from your home university. Check both institutions’ deadlines for varying your enrolment and contact your faculty office to ensure you are able to enrol in your chosen units.

Your enrolment responsibility

It is your responsibility to ensure that your enrolment is correct. Any changes to your enrolment should be made by the relevant dates. Late changes may result in academic and/or financial penalties.

You can manage most of your enrolment through StudentConnect. If you find some of your details are incorrect and you can't amend them yourself, please contact Student Central.

If you receive any kind of Commonwealth financial assistance or a scholarship, check whether the changes to your enrolment will affect your eligibility for these payments before changing your enrolment.

You must also ensure that fee and University deadlines are met (refer to important dates).

If you are an international student, check if the change will breach the terms of your student visa.

Need more information?

Rule breaches and invalid units

How to enrol

Change your personal details

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.