Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

International student discontinuation

If you need a break from your studies due to compassionate or compelling circumstances, you can apply for intermission and keep your place in your course.

International student discontinuation

Visa implications

It’s important that you are aware of your visa conditions. To comply with, and retain your visa, you must be studying a registered course in Australia.

When you discontinue

Once you discontinue, Deakin will cancel your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and notify the Department of Home Affairs that you are no longer studying with us.

If you intend to remain in Australia

You will need a new offer and CoE for a course that is the same Australia Qualification Framework (AQF) level of your current student visa within 28 days of the cancellation of your Deakin CoE.  Failure to do so may result in cancellation of your student visa.

View current information on changes to your study and impacts on your student visa

If you intend to return to your home country

You will not require a new offer and CoE from another provider if you intend to return to your home country, but you should plan to leave Australia within 28 days from the day your CoE is cancelled, or your student visa may be cancelled.

If you intend to study with another provider in Australia

If you are discontinuing to study with another provider and you have not completed 6 calendar months in your Deakin course, you will need to apply for a letter of release from Deakin.

It’s important that you speak with a student adviser before discontinuing your course.

How to apply for a letter of release from Deakin

Can we help?

Deakin offers a range of free services to support your wellbeing, and your study.

Before you make any decisions, we encourage you to talk it over with your family or friends and always speak with a student adviser.

Proceed with discontinuing

Remember to discontinue before census date

While there are no deadlines for discontinuing, the date you withdraw may have consequences.

If you withdraw after census date you may be liable for additional fees, however if you withdraw before census date you are eligible for a refund.

It is in your best interests to check the withdrawal dates for academic penalties and refund eligibility before applying to discontinue from your course:

How to discontinue your course

Login to StudentConnect, click the discontinuation link and follow the prompts to finalise the process.

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.