Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Student complaints

We hope you find your time at uni to be enjoyable and rewarding however, if you're unhappy about something at Deakin, there are various ways you can let us know.

Provide feedback

We value your feedback. Feedback, both positive and negative, is information you think the University can use to improve the student experience. If you have something to share about your student experience, and you are not seeking a specific outcome, you can provide feedback via DeakinSync.

Talk to the person or area responsible

We encourage you, where appropriate, to resolve problems directly with the person or area responsible. Below is a list of contacts to assist you.

If you've already tried to resolve your problem and you still have concerns, refer to the section below 'Sumbit a complaint'.

Additional contacts and support

Harassment and Discrimination Contact Officers (HDCOs)

HDCOs are volunteers, trained to provide confidential information and support to staff and students with concerns relating to discrimination, harassment, bullying, vilification, and victimisation.

You can contact any HDCO from the network list. You are welcome to choose a HDCO from your immediate area or select a HDCO who is further removed from your area if you prefer.

Safer Community

If you feel unsafe or threatened because of the way someone at Deakin is behaving, but do not require immediate assistance, please contact Safer Community. Safer Community is a free and confidential support service for staff and students who are experiencing threatening, inappropriate or uncomfortable behaviour.

If you require immediate assistance on campus, please call a Campus Support Officer on 1800 062 579.

If life is in danger, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.


Deakin University Student Association (DUSA) advocates provided qualified, experienced and confidential advice and support regarding academic matters.

Other supports

If you would like to make a report of student misconduct to the University,  you can report this to the Student Conduct team in the Office of the Dean of Students.

Submit a complaint

If your concerns remain unresolved or you do not feel comfortable contacting the responsible area, you can escalate your concerns to Student Complaints.  You can do this by completing the Student Complaints Form. A DUSA advocate can also assist with the complaint process.

All student concerns and issues are considered in accordance with the Student Complaints Resolution policy and procedure. If, after receiving a final University decision you remain dissatisfied, you can seek an external review of your complaint outcome by the Victorian Ombudsman.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Office of the Dean of Students