Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Change personal details

It’s your responsibility to keep your personal details up-to-date. Update your preferred name, legal name, gender, address or exam location.

Change personal details

You must provide certified documents when asked

If you are required to provide documentation to change your personal details, remember to have them certified.

Recording your preferred first name with Deakin

If you have a first name that you prefer to be known as, that isn't your legal name recorded by Deakin, you can update StudentConnect with this preferred first name.

Once this is recorded in StudentConnect, it will become the name used through most of our systems. You'll find that DeakinSync, StudentConnect, Cloud Deakin, Deakin library, STAR Timetable, online enquiries and many other smaller platforms will use your preferred name.

Your legal name will be used for formal purposes such as graduation and related registration requirements (if applicable), and there are some systems of ours which do use legal names.

If you change your name you must complete the change your details form to notify us and provide documentation to support the name change. There are two ways you can provide your documentation. You can:

  • attach a copy of a certified document with your application, or
  • take an original document to Student Central for processing.

View a list of people who can certify original documents in Victoria.

Acceptable forms of evidence are:

  • birth certificate with change of name details
  • citizenship certificate with change of name details
  • change of name certificate
  • deed poll document
  • marriage or registered relationship certificate (issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages)
  • divorce decree/revocation of registered relationship or death certificate of spouse or adult partner of a registered relationship
  • court order directing child's change of name.

Please note that the marriage certificate issued on the day of a wedding, known as a commemorative certificate, is not sufficient. The marriage certificate must be issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Alternatively, you can take your original documents to Student Central where they will process them for you.

You will also need to update your name on your Unique Student Identifier (USI) through the Australian Government.

An email address and/or username can only be changed under certain circumstances, including legal name change, disability reasons or to avoid obscenity/profanity/explicit words. You can request a change to your email address and/or username by contacting Student Central.

Update your title

You can update your title by completing the Change your personal details form.

Your title appears in StudentConnect but is rarely used in correspondence or displayed in our systems.

Update your gender

Current Deakin students can update their gender by completing the Change your personal details form.

If you are a past Deakin student and wish to update your gender with Deakin, you can submit and enquiry to Student Central with information on the gender you would have been registered with, and how you identify now.

You will receive an email confirmation within five working days.

Gender affirmation

Deakin supports students undertaking gender affirmation. For more information visit our gender affirmation webpage.

Changing your address

If you move house, you should change your address details in StudentConnect within seven days. For international students, this is a requirement of your student visa and failure to do so may even result in visa cancellation.

It is possible to have two addresses:

  • your postal address (where your mail is sent)
  • your home address (where you live when not studying).

Deakin cannot accept responsibility for problems that occur as a consequence of incorrect or inadequate address information provided by you.

Studying online? Change to exam location

If you are studying an online unit, you should also amend your nominated examination location if it is affected by your move to a new address.

Submitting documents

If you have any other personal details that are not correct, you can complete the Change your personal details form which has options to submit your documents, or you can present any documents to Student Central.

Your enrolment responsibilities

You are responsible for ensuring that your enrolment is correct in every detail. You must make changes to enrolment by the relevant dates. Late changes may result in academic and/or financial penalties.

You can manage your enrolment through StudentConnect. If you find some details are incorrect and you can't update them yourself, please contact Student Central.

If you receive any kind of Commonwealth financial assistance or a scholarship, check whether the changes to your enrolment will affect your eligibility for the scholarship or financial assistance before changing your enrolment.

If you are an international student, check if the change will breach the terms of your student visa.

Need help?

Our student advisers are here to help you with course advice, enrolment and general enquiries.