If you’re facing financial hardship, you can apply for financial assistance from Deakin.
Fill in the application form below, outlining your circumstances. We will then assess your application and you may receive one of the following:
- an interest-free loan
- a grant, or
- an essentials voucher.
You may also receive a combination of the above.
Interest-free loans of up to $2000 are available to assist with:
- study-related expenses (eg. textbooks)
- course-related equipment
- study-related technology
- placements and experiential learning costs (eg travel expenses)
A loan for other expenses (such as rent, living costs and medical expenses) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
A limited number of grants are made available each year and awarded based on extreme financial hardship where repaying a loan would create further financial distress. Grants may be awarded for $500 and up to $2000 in extreme cases.
A one-off Woolworths voucher valued at $50 is available to students facing short-term financial hardship to assist with the purchase of groceries.
How to apply
To request financial assistance from Deakin you just need to complete one form and we will decide what financial assistance (if any) you are eligible for. You can expect to hear from us within 3 business days.
Please be sure to include all supporting documentation so that your application is not delayed.
When you submit your application, you will be required to attach supporting documentation. Please have the following information ready.
- Photo ID (a copy of your passport, driver’s license or Deakin Card)
- Bank statements for the last 3 months
- Your annual income (a copy of your tax return or some payslips)
- Your annual expenses (rent, utilities, spending)
- Information on any Centrelink payments you currently receive
- Any other supporting documentation that would support your application. For example:
- For support to pay a bond – a copy of your rental agreement
- For support to pay rent – a copy of your eviction notice
- For support to pay a utility bill – a copy of your outstanding account.
Your application will be processed more quickly if all required documentation is attached.
Please note the application to payment process can take a minimum of one to two weeks.
For further information about the application process, please contact Student Central.