Skip to main content
Skip sub navigation

Overseas student health cover (OSHC)

As an international student, you are financially responsible for any health care debts you incur in Australia. For that reason it's compulsory that you hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) while studying in Australia.

Overseas Student Health Cover gives you peace of mind if you get sick or hurt in Australia. Your provider can help you navigate Australia’s healthcare system and link you to resources to help you stay healthy and well while you are studying.

Do I need OSHC?

It is a condition of your student visa that while you are studying in Australia, you must hold private health insurance. This is referred to as Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). OSHC ensures you receive any hospital or medical healthcare you may require while studying in Australia.

Will OSHC cover all my medical costs?

OSHC will cover most of your medical costs however, you may be out of pocket for items such as vaccinations, pathology testing and other services like physio, psychology or podiatry. You may receive some rebate but it’s best to check with your OSHC provider about your coverage.

How do I choose a private health insurer for OSHC?

Deakin University’s preferred provider is Bupa. We can arrange your OSHC through Bupa so you don’t have to think about it or you can choose your own provider. View OSHC information on Bupa website.

If you would like to choose your own provider, you can visit the Australian Government website and research other eligible private health insurance providers in Australia.

What level of OSHC do I need?

​Depending on the level of OSHC you choose, you may be charged a patient contribution, excess or co-payment for treatment.

We recommend your OSHC covers the basic cost of public hospital, medical services, pharmaceutical and transport by ambulance.

When comparing OSHC providers it’s important to be aware of any waiting periods. This means the amount of time you wait after taking out your OSHC before you can receive treatment.

Ask providers about treatments or services that are not covered under their policy.

What length of cover do I need?

You will require OSHC for at least the length of your student. If your OSHC lapses, the Department of Home Affairs will automatically cancel your visa.

Evidence of adequate health insurance

Some Australian visas require you to provide evidence of OSHC before your visa is granted.

You may be asked to provide a copy of a current private health insurance policy held with an Australian registered private health insurer for you and any additional applicants applying for the visa with you.

Accessing health services at Deakin

Deakin has direct billing agreements with Bupa, Allianz, NIB, Medibank/AHM so, if you’re covered by one of these providers you only pay out-of-pocket expenses when accessing health and medical services at Deakin. In most cases, for a general medical appointment there will be no charge.

If you have different cover (other than OSHC) or are with a different provider, you will need to pay and claim your money back through your provider.

Last updated:
Page custodian: Student Services