SA-HELP is a loan scheme from the Australian Government to cover your Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

What the loan covers

The loan covers your full Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

Whether you're taking out a HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan or paying upfront, you can request an SA-HELP loan. If you're using other HELP loans, the SA-HELP loan amount will be added to your accumulated HELP debt.

The SSAF helps to pay for important student services at Deakin such as sporting and recreational activities, and student health and wellbeing.

Learn more about the SSAF

Who is eligible?

You must:

  • be an Australian citizen, eligible New Zealand citizen, or hold a permanent humanitarian visa and meet residency requirements
  • be enrolled in an eligible course of study with Deakin
  • meet the tax file number (TFN) requirements by giving Deakin your TFN or a certificate of application for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

How it works

The Australian Government pays the loan amount directly to Deakin on your behalf and an SA-HELP debt is recorded for you with the ATO.

You'll be issued with a Commonwealth Assistance notice (eCAN) each enrolled study period. This will detail any amount deferred to the ATO.

How to apply

To apply for SA-HELP complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) on StudentConnect when you enrol.

More information

To find out more about SA-HELP loans, eligibility and repayments, explore the Study Assist website.

Visit the Study Assist website