Dr. Luis Afonso is a fish physiologist with an interest in fish health (stress) and reproduction. Luis completed an MSc degree at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil – 1992) on sex reversal in fish, and a PhD at the University of British Columbia (Canada - 1997) on reproductive endocrinology of Pacific salmon.
After his PhD, Luis took on an associate professor position at the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (1997-2000), and he worked closely with the aquaculture industry on research and development projects aimed at producing monosex population of Nile tilapia.
Luis returned to Canada in 2000 to take on a Visiting Scientist position with the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada to work on the effects of environmental pollutants during sexual development in fish. In 2001 he joined the National Research Council of Canada, Institute for Marine Biosciences (Halifax-Canada) where he developed a research program on stress in fish. From 2009-2012, Luis took up a Senior Research position with the BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences (Campbell River-Canada) to work on fish health.
For the past 15 years, Luis has been working closely not only with his colleagues at academia but also with the private sector, as he thinks that an interdisciplinary team based approach is vital for understanding, maintaining, and advancing our knowledge in life sciences.
Senior Lecturer in Marine Sciences, Deakin University, Australia, 2012-present
Senior Research Scientist, BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences, Canada, 2009-2012
Research and Development, Genome Atlantic, Canada, 2007-2009.
Research Officer, National Research Council Canada (NRC), Canada, 2001-2007
Visiting Scientist in Canadian Government Laboratory, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Canada, 2000-2001
Associate Professor, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 1997-2000
• Adjunct Professor (2009-2012) Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo, BC, Canada.
• Adjunct Professor (2004-2007) Memorial University of Newfoundland, Ocean Science Centre, St. John’s, NL, Canada.
• Adjunct Professor (2000-2004) Department of Animal Science, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil.
- Fish and invertebrate stress, health, diseases, and welfare
- Stress response to environmental and aquaculture-related stressors: thermal stress, hypoxia, environmental toxicants, crowding, transportation and harvesting
- Individual variation in stress response
- Heath-shock proteins, enzymes involved in the synthesis of corticosteroids (StAR, P450scc, 3β-HSD) cortisol bound and free, glucose, lactate, and glycogen, expression of immune-related genes, sex steroid hormones
- Genomics, proteomics and metabolomics
- Fish reproductive endocrinology, sex differentiation, and sex reversal
- Marine and freshwater finfish and shellfish, aquaculture
- Recreational fishing: stress and welfare
- Stress and nutrition
- Development of biomarkers of stress and health
- Development of diagnostic techniques using genomic approaches
Animal physiology, cell biology, endocrionology, stress physiology, reproduction, aquaculture
SLE111 - Cells and genes
SLE254 - Genetics (practicals)
SLE315 - Comparative animal physiology (selected topics)
SLE329 - Aquatic animal health and reproduction
Fish physiology, endocrinology, reproduction, stress, health, aquaculture, molecular biology, sex reversal, sex control, fish welfare
Reviewer for academic journals and funding agencies
• Aquaculture, Aquaculture Reviews, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, Fish and Shellfish Immunology, General and Comparative Endocrinology, Journal of Fish Biology, Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, North American Journal of Aquaculture, Journal of Aquaculture Research and Development.
• Reviewer for granting agencies in Canada (NSERC) and Brazil (CNPq, CAPES, FAPERGS).
• USDA, Cooperative State Research, Education, and Extension Service Small Business Innovation Research.
Awards and Academic Achievements
• British Columbia Aquaculture and Environment Innovation Award – (British Columbia Innovation Council (April 2009 – January 2012), Research Chair in Aquaculture and Environment.
• Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada - NSERC (September 2000 - August 2001),Visiting Scientist in Canadian Government Laboratory.
• Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Association of Graduate Studies in Animal Science (September 2000), Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies Administration.
• Brazilian Society of Animal Sciences (1998-1999), General Secretary of the XXXVI Annual Meeting of the Brazilian Society of Animal Science - Porto Alegre, Brazil.
• Brazilian National Research Council - CNPq (August 1998 - August 2000), Award for Excellence in Research.
• Brazilian National Research Council - CNPq (1994-1997), Award for PhD degree.
• Brazilian Coordenadoria de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior - CAPES (1990-1992), Award for MSc degree.
J Tromp, P Jones, M Brown, J Donald, P Biro, L Afonso
(2018), Vol. 495, pp. 196-204, Aquaculture, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
J Tromp, P Jones, J Symonds, S Walker, A Pope, S Pether, L Afonso
(2016), Vol. 452, pp. 128-133, Aquaculture, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
W Marshall, A Sitjà-Bobadilla, H Brown, T MacWilliam, Z Richmond, H Lamson, D Morrison, L Afonso
(2016), Vol. 39, pp. 929-946, Journal of fish diseases, Chichester, Eng., C1
T Nakano, M Kameda, T Yamaguchi, M Sato, L Afonso, G Iwama, R Devlin
(2015), pp. 147-157, Marine productivity: perturbations and resilience of socio-ecosystems : proceedings of the 15th French-Japanese Oceanography Symposium, Berlin, Germany, B1
A Siah, P McKenna, F Berthe, L Afonso, J Danger
(2013), Vol. 3, pp. 95-103, Results in immunology, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1
T Nakano, L Afonso, B Beckman, G Iwama, R Devlin
(2013), Vol. 8, pp. 1-7, PLoS ONE, San Francisco, Calif., C1
T Hori, A Gamperl, C Hastings, G Voort, J Robinson, S Johnson, L Afonso
(2012), Vol. 324-325, pp. 165-173, Aquaculture, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
T Hori, M Rise, S Johnson, L Afonso, A Gamperl
(2012), Vol. 175, pp. 311-320, General and comparative endocrinology, Maryland Heights, Mo., C1-1
L Afonso, Z Richmond, A Eaves, J Richard, L Hawley, K Garver
(2012), Vol. 3, pp. 1-5, Journal of aquaculture research and development, Los Angeles, Calif., C1-1
T Hori, A Gamperl, L Afonso, S Johnson, S Hubert, J Kimball, S Bowman, M Rise
(2010), Vol. 11, pp. 1-22, BMC genomics, London, England, C1-1
X Liu, L Afonso
(2010), pp. 259-268, Functional glycomics: methods and protocols, New York, N. Y., B1-1
T Karakach, E Huenupi, E Soo, J Walter, L Afonso
(2009), Vol. 5, pp. 123-137, Metabolomics, New York, N. Y., C1-1
A Gamperl, C Busby, T Hori, L Afonso, J Hall
(2009), Vol. 82, pp. 483-494, Physiological and biochemical zoology, Chicago, Ill., C1-1
L Inoue, G Moraes, G Iwama, L Afonso
(2008), Vol. 38, pp. 603-609, Acta amazonica, Manaus, Brasil, C1-1
T Hori, I Avilez, G Iwama, S Johnson, G Moraes, L Afonso
(2008), Vol. 147, pp. 416-423, Comparative biochemistry and physiology part C, Philadelphia, Pa., C1-1
X Liu, L Afonso, E Altman, S Johnson, L Brown, J Li
(2008), Vol. 8, pp. 2849-2857, Proteomics, Weinheim, Germany, C1-1
J Perez-Casanova, M Rise, B Dixon, L Afonso, J Hall, S Johnson, A Gamperl
(2008), Vol. 24, pp. 600-609, Fish and shellfish immunology, London, England, C1-1
M Fast, S Hosoya, S Johnson, L Afonso
(2008), Vol. 24, pp. 194-204, Fish and shellfish immunology, England, London, C1-1
J Pérez-Casanova, L Afonso, S Johnson, S Currie, A Gamperl
(2008), Vol. 72, pp. 899-916, Journal of fish biology, Oxford, England, C1-1
L Afonso, S Hosoya, J Osborne, A Gamperl, S Johnson
(2008), Vol. 72, pp. 157-167, Journal of fish biology, Oxford, England, C1-1
D Martins, L Afonso, S Hosoya, L Lewis-McCrea, L Valente, S Lall
(2007), Vol. 272, pp. 573-580, Aquaculture, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
S Hosoya, S Johnson, G Iwama, A Gamperl, L Afonso
(2007), Vol. 146, pp. 78-86, Comparative biochemistry and physiology part A, Philadelphia, Pa., C1-1
R Leggatt, K Scheer, L Afonso, G Iwama
(2006), Vol. 68, pp. 1-8, North American journal of aquaculture, Bethesda, Md., C1-1
G Iwama, L Afonso, M Vijayan
(2006), pp. 320-342, Physiology of fishes, Boca Raton, Flo., B1-1
L Inoue, L Afonso, G Iwama, G Moraes
(2005), Vol. 35, pp. 289-295, Acta amazonica, Manaus, Brazil, C1-1
D Toa, L Afonso, G Iwama
(2004), Vol. 30, pp. 103-108, Fish physiology and biochemistry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
G Iwama, L Afonso, A Todgham, P Ackerman, K Nakano
(2004), Vol. 207, pp. 15-19, Journal of evolutionary biology, Oxford, England, C1-1
G Wassermann, L Afonso
(2003), Vol. 34, pp. 65-71, Aquaculture research, Oxford, England, C1-1
L Afonso, N Basu, K Nakano, R Devlin, G Iwama
(2003), Vol. 29, pp. 173-179, Fish physiology and biochemistry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
L Afonso, J Smith, M Ikonomou, R Devlin
(2002), Vol. 110, pp. 881-887, Environmental health perspectives, Research Triangle Park, N.C., C1-1
E Leboute, L Afonso, M Rotta
(2002), Vol. 32, pp. 147-149, Ciência rural, Santa Maria, Brasil, C1-1
G Wassermann, L Afonso
(2002), Vol. 32, pp. 133-139, Ciência rural, Santa Maria, Brasil, C1-1
L Afonso, G Wassermann, R de Oliveira
(2001), Vol. 290, pp. 177-181, Journal of experimental zoology : part A - comparative experimental biology, Hoboken, N. J., C1-1
M Rotta, L Afonso
(2001), Vol. 31, pp. 521-522, Ciência rural, Santa Maria, Brasil, C1-1
L Afonso, G Iwama, J Smith, E Donaldson
(2000), Vol. 188, pp. 175-187, Aquaculture, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
L Afonso, G Iwama, J Smith, E Donaldson
(1999), Vol. 20, pp. 231-241, Fish physiology and biochemistry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, C1-1
L Afonso, G Iwama, J Smith, E Donaldson
(1999), Vol. 113, pp. 221-229, General and comparative endocrinology, Maryland Heights, Mo., C1-1
L Afonso, P Campbell, G Iwama, R Devlin, E Donaldson
(1997), Vol. 106, pp. 169-174, General and comparative endocrinology, Maryland Heights, Mo., C1-1
L Afonso, E Leboute, S Souza
(1993), Vol. 22, pp. 502-505, Revista Brasileira de zootecnia, Minas Gerais MG Brazil, C1-1
Funded Projects at Deakin
Other Public Sector Funding
Stress response ofblack bream during recreational catch and release
Dr Paul Jones, A/Prof Luis Afonso
- 2013: $15,943
Industry and Other Funding
Application and development of biochemical assays to assess smoltification in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
A/Prof Luis Afonso
- 2014: $18,400
Effects of chronic exposure to different thermal regimens on Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) growth, stress physiology and health
A/Prof Luis Afonso, Linda Sams, Dr Christine Huynh
- 2015: $23,000
- 2014: $24,192
Physiological and molecular indicators to assess smoltification in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar)
A/Prof Luis Afonso, Dr Paul Jones, Linda Sams
- 2017: $31,661
- 2016: $77,838
- 2015: $40,000
Thesis entitled: Fatty acid metabolism in barramundi (Lates calcarifer)
Doctor of Philosophy (Life & Env), School of Life and Environmental Sciences