2015 China Study Program
Study two MBA subjects while visiting China (31 October - 18 November)
As part of its 2015 Trimester 3 studies program, the Faculty of Business and Law is offering students the opportunity to immerse themselves in China, to gain an international study experience, a perspective of business in China and bring back credit toward their Deakin degree.
China is undoubtedly one of the world's most fascinating countries. It is one of the four oldest civilizations, the world's largest country in terms of population, the second largest in terms of economic size, and one of the fastest growing economies in the world. During the program, you will visit major Chinese destinations such as Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Hainan Island.
The study program will include:
- A series of lectures provided by academic staff from Deakin University and East China University of Politics and Law (ECUPL)
- Guest lectures and seminars delivered by Australian Government representatives and leaders, and professionals from foreign businesses operating in China
- Site visits to a variety of international organisations including multinational corporations, small foreign SMES, state-owned enterprises as well as local Chinese businesses
- Opportunities to compare industrial zones of Shanghai and surrounding towns and the cities of Beijing, Hainan Island and Hong Kong
- Time to explore the historical and cultural sites and the opportunity to immerse in the cultural environment.
Apart from going to lectures, site visits and doing assignments, China Study Program is also a bit of fun!
Adult learning techniques and self-directed learning are used in this study program, while travelling through China and Hong Kong. You will learn through lectures, seminars and workshops, guest speakers, experiential activities such as company site visits, and activities that let you experience China's unique culture.
Students cannot enrol themselves in study program units via StudentConnect. Successful applicants will be notified and enrolled by staff. Students should nominate their preferred unit(s) of study when they submit their application.
- Reflective Assignment, 20% – 1500 words
- Country Profile, 40% – 3-4000 words
- Country Entry Strategy, 40% – 3-4000 words.
- Written Assignment, 50% – 3000 words
- Group Presentation, 10%
- Log/Workbook/Reflection, 30%
- Group Work, 10%.
The indicative cost of the China Study Program fee for 2015 is AU$5500 (subject to currency fluctuations).
- Accommodation (twin share) and most meals specified in the itinerary
- Hotel breakfast and internet access Beijing, Hainan Province and Hong Kong
- Airport transfers from Airport to Hotel in Shanghai
- Coach travel to and from, and entry fees to all tourist sites in the itinerary.
Items that are NOT included in the cost that students should allow for
- Flights to Shanghai and from Honk Kong to Melbourne
- Travel/medial insurance
- Visa costs
- Single accommodation
- Spending money
- Unit fee/s.
Important to note
- The program is limited to 30 students
- Faculty grants are available - A$500 per student
- Asiabound grants are available for 10 students only - A$2000 (selection will be based on merit – grade point average).
In recognition of the importance of international study experiences for our student's professional development and the role the China Study Program plays in helping raise the profile of Deakin University, the Faculty have made available a number of $500 Faculty of Business and Law Grants. These are available to students on the tour to help offset some of the costs. The number of grants however are limited and only available to those students whose applications are received by 5pm 1 August 2015.
The Faculty of Business and Law has been successful in applying for the Asia Bound Grants program, from the Australian Government Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education (DIICCSRTE) to the value of $2000, per student, for 10 students which will cover some of the costs associated with the program.
How to apply
Applications for this program are now open.
Successful applicants will be informed on 8 September 2015 and must be ready to take up their place in the program by paying their $1000 deposit by 15 September 2015.
Applications close 1 September 2015.
Further details on inclusions of the program can be obtained by contacting the Program Manager.
*Please note: the deposit is non-refundable.
- 1 August 2015: Faculty of Business and Law grant and Asiabound grant Application closing date
- 1 September 2015: Applications closing date
- 15 September 2015: Deposit due
- 1 October 2015: Final payment due
- 31 October 2015: Start of the program
- 18 November 2015: Final day of the program.
Study Program Manager
Deakin Graduate School of Business
221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, VIC, 3125
Telephone +61 3 9244 5167