Malaysia Group Internships
The Malaysia Group Internship Scheme is a group internship for undergraduate students of all disciplines to take place in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Malaysia is a powerful economy in Southeast Asia and Kuala Lumpur is a vibrant city offering a blend of historic, cultural and modern business experiences.
Students will be placed into business organisations to work on a project of significance to the host organisation. Students work in multidisciplinary teams of 3 to 5 with a group presentation at the conclusion of the internship.
This is a great opportunity for students of all disciplines to get both an international experience and an internship experience during the T1 / T2 break (28 June - 12 July 2015).
Applications open 16th February for T2 2015
The Malaysia Internship Scheme is a group internship for undergraduate students of all disciplines. These high quality internships take place in Kuala Lumpur over two weeks during the T1 / T2 break.
Benefits of the International Study Program
- Complete a unit during trimester break
- Gain a taste of working life by being on site at your host organisation over an intensive 2 week period
- Participate in networking events with the Malaysia Australia Business Council as well as the Malaysia Australia Alumni Association
- Grow your confidence of working and presenting in a professional environment
- Travel and study in the safe and supported environment of Deakin staff and students
- Meet new people and make great friends!
Students are required to make their own flight arrangements and are encouraged to make use of this opportunity to undertake additional travel in and around Malaysia. Any additional travel or accommodation costs outside the program dates will incur additional costs beyond the quoted price.
All accommodation on the tour is at four star hotels in twin share rooms. Travel to workplaces will be via public transport and students will be shown how to commute during the orientation program.
The program is offered as a Trimester 2 enrolment for international or domestic undergraduate students.
This unit aims to provide students with the opportunity to undertake appropriate and relevant experiential learning within their undergraduate studies in the Faculty of Business and Law. Students will learn in and with the team, with the intention of then critically reflecting on their placement, their graduate attributes and employability competencies through a continuous assessment process.
Assessment: Pre-placement individual assignment, individual reflection and team assignment
- Information Systems students as a core unit
- Commerce students as an elective
Successful applicants will be notified and advised how to enrol on Student Connect by staff.
The approximate cost of the 2015 Malaysia Group Internship will be A$1600.
Included in the tour price is:
- Twin share accommodation
- Daily breakfast
- Selected group meals
- In-country orientation and city tour
- Travel insurance for length of the program
Items not included in the price and that students should allow for are:
- International airfares
- Unit enrolment fees
- Passport and Visa fees
- Spending money
- Meals not specified on the itinerary
Domestic students may be eligible to apply for an OS-Help Loan of up to $7500 to help fund their participation in the Malaysia Group Internship Scheme. The purpose of OS-HELP is to assist students with a range of expenses, such as airfares and accommodation. Further information on eligibility for OS-Help can be found here.
Important to note:
- A minimum number of 16 students is required for the program to run and places are limited to 20 students in total.
- Travel insurance is provided by Deakin for the length of the program, students travelling beyond the program dates will need to pay for additional coverage.
- Final payments for the program are non-refundable
How to apply
Applications for the 2015 Malaysia Group Internship Scheme are now open.
To apply students must have:
- Completed 12 units of study (includes CPL)
- Achieved good academic grades
- Have a level 3 elective available in your course structure
Register your interest or apply by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org Applications close 4 April 2015
Applications will be assessed after the closing date and eligible students will be contacted to attend an informal interview with the academic coordinators. Successful applicants will be offered a place in the program and asked to pay program fees within 3 weeks to confirm their participation. Check important dates for relevant timelines in the application process.
Students will be advised on how to enrol in the relevant units once their application is received. Applications for OS Help can be submitted once enrolment in the internship units is confirmed.
- 31 March 2015: Application closing date
- 1 May 2015: Final payment due
- Mid May: Compulsory Pre-Departure
- 28 June 2015: Arrival date
- 29 June 2015: In-country orientation
- 12 July 2015: Final day of program