Deakin Humanitarian Scholarship
Deakin is committed to providing access to higher education for students seeking asylum from refugee backgrounds residing in Australia on temporary visas who could not otherwise afford the cost of university study.
Value and duration
100% of your tuition fees
Normal duration of the course
|Trimester 1 2017|
2 December 2016
|Trimester 1 2017|
20 January 2017 at 5pm
All Deakin University scholarships have eligibility criteria.
Prospective candidates should ensure they meet all criteria before submitting their application.
To be eligible you must be:
- an International student who holds a Temporary Protection visa or a Safe Haven Enterprise Visa or be an asylum seeker on Bridging Visa A or E
- commencing located (on campus) full time studies in Trimester 1 2017 at Deakin University
- eligible for entry into an award course at Deakin University.
Special conditions apply to the scholarship:
- The applicant must apply for course admission before their scholarship application can be assessed. Any scholarship offer will be conditional on receiving a course offer, acceptance and enrolment into an undergraduate degree course in 2017.
- This scholarship cannot be deferred or intermitted.
- The recipient must satisfy all requirements for admission into an undergraduate degree.
- Payment is subject to satisfactory academic performance.
- Holders of the Deakin Humanitarian Scholarship must inform Deakin immediately when their visa changes.
How to apply
Apply direct to Deakin
You can apply for this scholarship directly through our Course and Scholarship Applicant Portal.
How to write a successful application:
Applying for a scholarship isn't just about meeting the eligibility criteria.
It's a good idea to think about why you want a scholarship, it’s your opportunity to stand out from the crowd and be recognised for where you’ve come from and where you need to go.
As part of the application process you will also be required to upload supporting documentation.
Make sure you choose the correct Document type - 'Deakin Humanitarian Scholarship only - Evidence of your visa and applicant statement' when you upload your documents - it will make a difference. If your documents are uploaded into the incorrect type they will not be considered when assessing your application. Remember it is quality, not quantity, which you need to provide. Aim to provide documents which are current, relevant and concise.
Supporting documentation should include:
- a copy of your visa
- statement of recommendation from a school or community leader (not a family member)
- other referee statements which could support your application
Finding out if you're successful
At the latest, you will know the outcome of your application within six weeks of the January closing date.