HPS325 - Addiction

Year: 2018 unit information
Enrolment modes: Trimester 1: Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong), Cloud (online)
Credit point(s): 1
EFTSL value: 0.125
Unit chair:

Peter Miller and Richelle Mayshak

Prerequisite:

Nil

Corequisite:

Nil

Incompatible with:

Nil

Contact hours:

Campus: 3 x 2 hour masterclasses, weeks 1, 5, and 11. Weekly 1 x 2 hour seminar

Cloud (online): 1 x 2 hour cloud (online) seminar per week

Content

This unit will provide students with an in-depth knowledge of the major issues associated with addiction and substance use (ASU) more broadly. Specifically, the focus will be on alcohol and tobacco use, gambling, major illicit drugs (e.g. cannabis, heroin, amphetamine type substances, ecstasy, cocaine and other less common drugs). It will include an examination of the causes and risk factors for addiction and other harms associated with ASU, the levels of problems nationally and internationally, theories of addiction, the mechanisms of ASU in the body and brain, specific and general individual focussed treatments for ASU, and effective community and policy strategies for preventing and reducing harm. A major focus of the course will be the comorbid presentation of mental health disorders and substance use and effective screening and treatment of these disorders. The unit has a strong international and multi-disciplinary focus.

Note that assessments will be completed in seminars, therefore students will be expected to attend their assigned seminar regularly.

Assessment

Assessment task 1: 2 case studies (approximately 700 words each, 10% for the first, 25% for the second) total 35%

Assessment task 2: Debate (15 minutes) (10% for group presentation, 10% individual mark, 5% team feedback) total 25%

Assessment task 3: Examination (1.5 hours) 40%

Unit Fee Information

Click on the fee link below which describes you: