- Study at Deakin
- Campus life
- Industry and community
- About Deakin
Death Cap mushrooms have been identified as growing in areas of Burwood and surrounds, including around the Elgar Road side of the Campus.
All staff and students are cautioned not to consume any mushrooms found on Campus, or in the suburbs listed below.
The mushrooms, which have been linked to two recent deaths in Canberra, appear similar to traditional Chinese mushrooms, but are extremely poisonous. They tend to grow on the roots of oak trees and are smooth with yellow-olive caps, white gills, and cups at the base of their stems. There is also a native species of Death Cap mushroom that grow at the roots of eucalyptus trees.
The mushrooms are in fruiting season from December to February and tend to be more prevalent after heavy rain.
People who eat death cap mushrooms often feel like they are suffering mild or severe food poisoning within the first two to six hours. Symptoms can then lessen, with sufferers starting to feel better, before the toxins within the mushroom begin to affect the liver and kidneys.
The Victorian government advises that if you suspect you or anyone else has eaten a poisonous mushroom, do not wait for symptoms to occur, contact the Victorian Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26.
For information about fungi poisoning - click here
For further information about the Death Cap mushroom - click here
Death Cap mushrooms have been identified in the following Victorian locations: