Trimester 1, 2019
+61 3 522 78789
A new learning environment
We are upgrading the Optometry Clinic at our Waurn Ponds Campus to provide specialist equipment and increase the clinical experience for students studying the School of Medicine Optometry program.
The Optometry Clinic is unique to the University, and will provide a secondary care environment that is open to staff, students and the Geelong community.
The refurbishment will increase the quality and quantity of clinical experience for students, with six consultation spaces to prepare students for their professional careers.
Best-practice clinical facilities
The contemporary clinic design is consistent with commercial optometry practises and in line with the standards set by the accrediting body, the Optometry Council of Australia and New Zealand (OCANZ).
The design replicates a typical working environment and provides students with enhanced and varied clinical experience and exposure to successfully enter the workforce.
The upgraded clinic will include:
- Six consultation rooms equipped with specialist equipment and industry lighting requirements.
- One consultation room to enable Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) examinations by a Designated Aviation Optometrist.
- A large waiting/reception with flexible and accessible space for multiple functions; a compact display for frames, a waiting area for patients, and an informal teaching and student discussion space.
- A clinical counselling space for one-on-one confidential discussions between supervising clinicians and students.
- New teaching equipment to enable simultaneous use by multiple practitioners (i.e. student and supervisor) to ensure best practice teaching principles.
Construction works will be completed between August and December 2018, with the Clinic operational for Trimester 1, 2019.