Honours in Law
The Bachelor of Laws (Honours) is awarded on the basis of your Weighted Average Mark (WAM) achieved in the Deakin M312 Bachelor of Laws and successful completion of two units: MLH401 Legal Research Training (2 credit points) and MLH402 Legal Research Project (2 credit points). Your honours grade is based on your WAM achieved.
M412 Bachelor of Laws (Honours) - applicable if you commenced your studies in 2015 or later
The Bachelor of Laws (Honours) will be awarded on the basis of your Weighted Average Mark (WAM) achieved in M312 Bachelor of Laws (minimum 65%) and successful completion of M412 Bachelor of Laws (Honours).
M412 Bachelor of Laws (Honours) comprises two units, MLH401 Legal Research Training (2 credit points) and MLH402 Legal Research Project (2 credit points) and must be studied concurrently with M312 Bachelor of Laws.
Further information on this course can be found in our FAQs (PDF, 146 KB)
Applications for M412 are currently being taken for 2018.
Honours in Law - applicable if you commenced your studies prior to 2015
If you commenced M312 Bachelor of Laws (or combined courses) before 2015, a degree with honours will be awarded for outstanding achievement. To meet the requirements for Honours in Law you must have:
- successfully completed all of the requirements of your Bachelor of Laws degree
- successfully completed 4 credit points of LLB units at level 4, chosen from the Handbook. And
- maintained a minimum WAM of 65 across all of your LLB units. This is a strict requirement, for example a WAM of 64 does not make you ELIGIBLE for Honours.
In order for students to meet the requirements for Honours in Law (Program Three) students must have:
- successfully completed all of the requirements of their Bachelor of Laws degree.
- successfully completed 4 credit points of LLB units at level 4.
- maintained Grade Point Average of 65% and above across all of their LLB units.
- achieved an Honours mark of H1, H2A or H2B. Students can check the Final Honours Grade table to see if they have achieved an Honours mark of H1, H2A or H2B. Remember, only final grades (across all LLB units) of 65% and above equate to Honours. This means that if the student successfully completed 4 level 4 LLB units and had an overall LLB average of 64% they are NOT ELIGIBLE for Honours, only a pass degree.
Law Honours WAM is calculated as follows:
All Deakin Law units are counted towards your WAM with the exception of Exchange, Study Abroad or Cross Institutional units.
- All attempts are counted, eg: if you fail a unit three times each attempt must be counted.
- Withdrawn Fail 'WN' is counted as 0
- Failure, not assessed 'XN' is counted as 0
- MLL401 Legal Project is worth two credit points so must be counted twice. This means that if the student received a mark of 96 for MLL401 then you would add 96 twice into your calculation; be sure to add an extra credit point when dividing the total LLB marks.
- If no numerical grade appears, use middle point of the grade as follows:
P = 55% C = 65% D = 75% HD = 85%
All Deakin Law unit attempts are added together and then divided by the number of completed law units to arrive at a total Law WAM. For eg: Total marks = 1560 divided by 24 units completed = 65%
Please note: There is no rounding up for Honours calculations eg 64.686 will not be rounded up to 65.
The final Honours grade will be awarded based on your WAM calculation, as follows:
H1 80% and above.
H2A 70 - 79.99%
H2B 65 - 69.99%
Need Additional Information?
If you require additional information about the Law Honours structure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 9644 6555