Travel surveys undertaken each year indicate that over 60 percent of staff and 30 percent of students drive to Deakin University as a sole occupant driver, producing over 39,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions each year. That's equivalent to over 700 million black balloons! Carpooling to Deakin is one way to reduce pollution and emissions.
Looking for someone to carpool with?
Deakin University provides a free online carpool matching service which will help you find another student or staff member who lives in your area and wants to share the ride to uni. You can carpool every day or only when it is convenient.
Carpooling car park
To support your commute to campus, a carpooling area has been established at the Melbourne Burwood Campus - level 2 (east end) of the multi-storey car park (Car Park 6). This area is designated for carpoolers only. To park in the designated carpooling area, vehicles must arrive at campus transporting more than one person and must have a valid parking permit for the zone in which the vehicle is parked.
There are no designated carpooling car parks on the other campuses.
Tips on meeting your new carpool buddy
- Meet at a convenient location on campus to say hello and swap details.
- Agree at first meeting whether you will share driving.
- Decide how you will share costs of parking: we recommend that you share the cost of a parking permit. Purchasing a daily permit is a great way to start as you trial your new arrangement. You may want to progress to monthly or trimester parking permits as time progresses and your carpool buddy arrangement is working for you.
- Decide how you will share the cost of petrol: you may be able to work out a similar arrangement for fuel costs as for a parking permit. If you decide to share the driving then splitting the cost for petrol may not be necessary.
- See our FAQ under Quick Links for more answers, tips and advice.