Our expertise and impact
Deakin Business School’s education and employability, ideas and innovation, and engagement and partnerships, align with the following key areas of today’s globally connected business community.
Business and Society
No business is an island. This perspective, and its emphasis on the symbiotic relationship between business and society, forms the philosophical foundation of our expertise in this area. Our research, teaching, and partnerships focuses on:
- Responsible business. We examine how business can become a platform for achieving socially, environmentally, and economically responsible outcomes.
- Inclusive business. We focus on how business can become more inclusive to better reflect diverse societies.
- Resilient business. We explore how business – and through them, the communities they support – can become more resilient to natural and human-made disasters.
Business and Technology
Business and Technology examines how best to deploy technologies for competitive business advantage. Our research, teaching, and partnerships focuses on:
- Technology as an enabling capability. We explore how businesses can leverage technologies like AI, analytics, and digital platforms for strategic benefit.
- Technology-supported decision-making. We examine how technology can be used to inform business decision-making.
- Technology-enabled business transformation. We consider how contemporary technologies help business to innovate and transform.
Capital Markets examines ways of harnessing financial markets to generate wealth and societal benefit. Our research, teaching, and partnerships focuses on:
- Socially responsible investing. We explore how financial investments can be used to achieve social change.
- Better markets. We investigate how the design of markets can be optimised to make them stronger, fairer, and more stable.
- Holistic reporting. We examine how non-financial indicators can be integrated with traditional financial metrics to provide a more complete assessment of value and performance.
SMEs and Entrepreneurship
Director: Dr Wade Halvorson
SMEs and Entrepreneurship supports small/medium enterprises and entrepreneurs navigate a world of accelerating change. Our research, teaching, and partnerships focuses on:
- SME success. We examine how to enhance the performance, sustainability, and success of SMEs, the lifeblood of the Australian economy.
- Entrepreneurial success. We explore how to cultivate an entrepreneurial mindset and build the entrepreneurial skills required to manage innovation for future growth.
Keep up to date with relevant business news, browse our events and get important insights from our research team’s opinion pieces.
Deakin Business School is EQUIS accredited through the European Foundation for Management Development. EQUIS accreditation is the most comprehensive institutional accreditation system for business and management schools, ensuring rigorous quality control against international standards in terms of governance, programmes, students, faculty, research, internationalisation, ethics, responsibility and sustainability, as well as engagement with the world of practice.
Deakin Business School is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). A hallmark of excellence, AACSB accreditation is awarded to business schools that meet strict standards of quality, academic and professional excellence, and is known worldwide as the most recognised form of professional accreditation an institution and its business programs can earn.
MBA – a global reputation
Deakin’s MBA has a worldwide reputation and is EPAS-accredited, which is an international quality benchmark for business programs. As well as that, our MBA:
- is rated by QS for program strength, offering an 'attractive and recognised program with a very high graduate employability rate'
- holds the highest 5-Star rating by the Graduate Management Association of Australia (GMAA).
Institute of Managers and Leaders Membership
Our exciting new partnership with the Institute of Managers and Leaders Membership means Deakin MBA students automatically receive membership with Australia’s most powerful leadership network for the duration of their study.
Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT)
Deakin University participates in the Australian government funded QILT surveys. These surveys cover the student lifecycle from commencement to employment after graduation and compare universities across Australia based on data collected from current students and graduates. Visit the QILT website to learn more about the surveys including the most recently published data.
Take a step forwards for your career by studying overseas as part of your degree. Experience other cultures, develop your networks and stand out to future employers.
Recognition of prior learning with business partners
Your membership with one of Deakin’s many partner organisations can be turned into credit that reduces the time and cost of your business degree.
Browse our full list of staff or find a staff member, based on their role or discipline.
Our research is relevant to critical policy issues faced by governments, businesses and society at large. It also improves our teaching, course design and content across all our departments.
Ethics, Responsibility and Sustainability
Our commitment to Ethics, Responsibility and Sustainability principles is an ongoing effort to create a better future for our students, staff and wider community.
Study business at Deakin
Deakin's Bachelor of Commerce is designed with you in mind, and our practical learning opportunities give graduates the skills for a business career anywhere in the world.
DBS in the top 1% of business schools worldwide
Deakin Business School is proud to join the top 1% of business schools globally who have earned the prestigious international accreditation, EQUIS.
Each department within Deakin Business School is seeking intellectually curious doctoral applicants with a strong academic track record who are interested in undertaking rigorous, theory-advancing research.
Our high-tech teaching spaces include the brand new state-of-the-art Deakin Trading Room. Get first-hand trading experience in a model of an interbank trading floor and gain real-world insights into the foreign exchange market.
Get in touch with Deakin Business School at any of our three campuses.
Deakin Business School
+61 3 9244 6555
Email Deakin Business School
Melbourne Burwood Campus
Building LB, Room LB2.400
Burwood VIC 3125
Geelong Waterfront Campus
Building AD, Level 2
1 Gheringhap Street
Geelong VIC 3220
Building J, Room 401
Warrnambool VIC 3280
*Accredited by EQUIS