Credit for Prior Learning
With Credit for Prior Learning (CPL), your previous study or work experience may make you eligible for credit towards your Deakin degree. It can reduce the number of units you need to study, allowing you to complete your course earlier and often more affordably.
CPL, also known as advanced standing or credit transfer, includes formal learning (accredited qualifications) and non-formal and informal (non-accredited learning or work experience).
Can I receive credit for my qualification?
Deakin considers all university, TAFE and private tertiary education provider qualifications from Australia and around the world for Credit for Prior Learning (CPL). We also have formal credit arrangements with a number of institutions.
Please note that even if you are eligible for CPL, you still need to meet the course requirements for the course you're applying for.
Types of credit
- Specified credit for a specific Deakin unit when previous studies are comparable to that of the Deakin unit.
- Unspecified credit for an elective unit within a Deakin course when no comparable Deakin unit exists and where course rules state that unspecified credit can be granted.
How is CPL assessed?
Your application will be reviewed by the relevant faculty if your qualifications were completed up to the last 10 years. For older qualifications, only submit an application if you can demonstrate your continual involvement in the subject area.
Other factors to keep in mind
- At least one-third of your chosen course needs to be completed at Deakin, or at least one half for certificate courses.
- Deakin will provide credit for overseas qualifications when they are benchmarked against relevant Australian qualifications.
- International students must fulfill the requirements of their student visa, even if CPL is granted. Speak with an international student adviser to discuss how CPL may affect your visa.
- Centrelink benefits may be affected if your study load becomes part time. Speak to a faculty course adviser about maintaining a full-time load.
- Check with your relevant professional association to see if receiving CPL may affect your recognition.
Filling out the CPL form is only necessary for domestic students.
International students can request a CPL assessment by indicating this on the international on-campus application for undergraduate and postgraduate study form.
How do I apply for credit for prior learning?
Fill in the Deakin CPL form below.
Submit your CPL application form at the same time as your course application.
- a certified copy of your academic transcript with a key to results
- details of course structure and credit point weightings from your previous institution’s handbook or website
- a unit outline/syllabus including assessment requirements, credit point weighting of units and details of textbooks/references
- for informal learning CPL, a written case that shows a high enough level of skill and knowledge for a 'Pass' grade in the relevant units of your course and/or continued involvement in the subject area.