Hiring a tutor
Are you a: Parent of a child needing a little help with the new school tasks? High school student with exams just around the corner? Deakin student needing to get on top of that one difficult subject?
Hiring a Deakin student as a tutor may be the answer to all of above!
Deakin students and graduates make sensational tutors as they are clever, flexible and provide a positive learning environment for a wide range of needs.
Deakin education students make great tutors for younger primary aged students, as they know the curriculum and have the skills to teach one-on-one.
Please remember that Deakin students can also be great tutors for people wanting to learn general skills, for example: a new language or how to use their computer to it's full potential.
Tips to ensure you get the right tutor
When filling in the details of who you would like as a tutor, it is important that you give as much information as possible. This is to ensure you get the right candidates apply, and to ensure our students only apply for the tutoring vacancies that they can excel at. Below are a questions to ask yourself, when filling in the job vacancy form:
- do you want the tutor help you achieve the best possible performance or someone to teach concepts?
- what subjects do you want to be tutored in?
- how often do you want tutoring and for how long?
- where will the session be held?
Every tutoring request will need to specify how much they will be paying the successful student per hour. To ensure you are offering a competitive pay rate, that will encourage a top tutor to apply, please view our tutoring pay guidelines below.
Tutoring pay guidelines
The following minimum tutoring pay rates have been recommended by the Student Employment Officers' Association of Victoria (which represents all Universities and TAFE institutes):
- Primary and Secondary up to Year 10 (tutored by undergraduate) - $22 per hour
- VCE (Year 11 and Year 12) - $25 per hour
- Tertiary (tutored by undergraduate) - $30 per hour
- Postgraduate students may charge an extra $5 per hour - negotiable
- Tutoring two students may be charged at time and a half - negotiable
- Tutoring three students may be charged at double time - negotiable
Don't wait, advertise for a tutor today!