Building Access

Key and Access Card information for University staff, students, contractors, visitors and leasers.

There are libraries, computer labs, study areas and secure rooms on every Deakin campus that you may need access to, either during or after hours.

Who can obtain a key/access card?

The following is a list of people who can obtain a key or access card:

  • University staff
  • Students (conditions apply, for further assistance contact your Faculty)
  • Contractors / visitors / lessees (conditions apply)
  • Cycling

The policy on keys, access cards and locks is named 'Security Procedure' and can be found on The Guide.

How to request a key/access card

Staff and students may make the following requests online:

  • New key
  • New access card (please ensure you have had a staff/student ID card produced)
  • Update access on an existing access card

How the online key/access card process works

  • Staff/students log on to the online request system.
  • Complete an Online Key/Card Request.
    • Select the key/card authoriser from your business area.
    • Select a key by entering a room ID or cylinder ID and/or enter access card requirements in text box provided. Enter any additional notes in the field provided, if necessary.
    • Upon submitting the request your authoriser will receive an email notification and the request will be approved/rejected. You will receive an email confirmation upon approval/rejection including any notes pertinent to your request.
    • All approved requests will be processed by Campus Services Division. You will receive an email when your key is ready for collection.
    • You will be required to provide ID upon collection of your key.
    • Requests for access will be added to your staff/student ID card.  You will receive an email once this has been completed.
  • Ask the authorised personnel in your Faculty/School.Division for approval.
Request Type Action
Change a request for keys or access cards Please email enquiries for keys to or access card to

How the offline key/access card process works

You will be unable to request a replacement key online that has been lost or stolen until it has been reported.  For security and administrative reasons the following requests/issues are dealt with separately, offline:

Request Type Action
Replacement of lost/stolen keys/access cards Please report any lost or stolen keys/cards to or call 924 46245
Requests for sub master keys Please email enquiries to

Bulk requests for access cards Please email enquiries to
Request a key and/or access card on someone's behalf Please email enquiries to
Requests for alarm codes Please email enquiries to
Replacement of lost/stolen/broken card If you access card is broken a new Deakin Card (Student and Staff ID) can be printed at Deakin Central. The new card will activate with the same access within 3 hours and will cancel your old card.  Printing will activate will activate in 1 hour.
Change a request for keys or access cards Please email enquiries for keys to or access card to

Collecting your key

Most key requests will be ready to collect within four working days of your request being approved by your authoriser, however, in exceptional circumstances this may take longer.

Keys must be collected in person from the Deakin Central on your Campus. They cannot be mailed or sent out to you in any way. You will receive an email when the key is ready for collection including any relevant advice.

You will be required to present ID upon collection.

Staff transfer to another faculty/division

Keys should be returned to Deakin Central on your Campus. Once in your new position you should go to Deakin Central on your campus for a reprint of your card to show your current faculty/division.

Staff who leave the University

All keys and access cards should be returned Deakin Central and then you should notify your supervisor/manager to enable them to record the return on the University Exit Checklist.

Additional queries

For any additional information or queries you can refer to our FAQ or feel free to contact us.

Page custodian: Campus Services
Last updated: