Disability services

Here at Deakin, we have a dedicated Disability Resource Centre (DRC). The DRC assists students with a disability, health or mental health condition to participate in university life.

Registering with the DRC

When you first enrol, you are asked to indicate whether you have a disability or medical condition. This information is collected for Government statistical purposes. It remains confidential.

If you have indicated that you have a disability or medical condition at enrolment, the Disability Resource Centre will contact you to invite you to apply for services.

It's a good idea to register with the Disability Resource Centre when you enrol at Deakin. Together we can talk about services and adjustments the University can make to assist you in meeting your course requirements.

If you've already enrolled, you can still contact us to register with the DRC and discuss your requirements.

Not sure if you're eligible?

The definition of ‘disability’ from the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 is broad.

It includes physical, intellectual, psychiatric, sensory, neurological and learning disabilities. Disability can be permanent or temporary. It includes some health conditions not usually thought of as disabilities. Sole carers of people with disability may also be able to access some of our services.

The DRC can also assist you in determining whether your disability, temporary or permanent, deems you eligible for assistance.

Current Deakin students looking for more information and registration forms can visit the Deakin student website to learn more.

Services available from the DRC

Help telling staff about your needs

We can work with you to create a Learning Access Plan (LAP), which you can use to discuss your needs with your faculty at the start of each trimester. Your LAP could include practical information and recommendations such as study adjustments, services and practices that will assist your faculty and lecturers to meet your needs.

Accessible study materials

If you need access to study materials in alternative formats, we can work with you to figure out the most appropriate format, and work with your course coordinator to produce it.

Alternative assessments

You may need adjustments to assessment tasks to ensure you have the same opportunity to demonstrate your learning as other students. This could involve consideration of an alternative form of assessment (e.g. written work instead of class presentation), or exam adjustments such as more time, rest breaks or the use of a computer.

Academic support workers

We have trained support workers who can assist with note-taking, provide AUSLAN interpretation or assist you in laboratories. Your disability liaison officer can help you identify the support that's right for you.

Longer library loans and off-campus library services

The library can loan you items for longer, and give you access to specialised equipment (such as wheelchair-accessible study tables and catalogue terminals). Each campus library also has a specific room equipped with assistive technology.

Assistive technology

Deakin's software library includes accessibility software available for students to download. This includes software that:

  • converts text to speech
  • includes screen magnification and visual enhancement
  • lets you view or convert graphics
  • has on-screen keyboards
  • assists with calculations.

The Disability Resource Centre can also provide further information, and advice on training needs.

Support during practical sessions and placements

If you think you may need support during placements, excursions or off-campus sessions, let us know as early as possible and we can discuss a solution or alternatives.

Getting around campus

The majority of buildings on campus are wheelchair accessible.

In some places, the steepness of external paths means that access is restricted, but we always have accessible routes. Most buildings are equipped with lifts, accessible toilets and some automatic doors.

Where to park

Accessible (category one council permit) parking is available at all campuses. If you're a category one permit holder, you won’t need a Deakin parking permit.

Visit our parking page for more information

Living on campus

Living on campus is a great way to get involved with the Deakin community. We have accessible studio apartments and private rooms at most of our campuses.

Find out more about living on campus at Deakin

Campus maps

View our campus maps for locations of wheelchair accessible bathrooms, parking and buildings on all four of our physical campuses.


Disability Resource Centre (DRC)

Contact us
+61 3 9244 6255
Email DRC

Burwood: Building B, Level 1, Room 103
Waurn Ponds: Building J, Level 2
Waterfront: John Hay Building, Level 2
Warrnambool: Building B, Lower level