Higher degrees by research programs encourage you to develop independent research skills and are for students who want to pursue their own theories and ideas at a high conceptual level.
The skills developed as part of a research degree include the ability to formulate a significant research problem, relate the research to the broader framework of knowledge in the chosen area, and the mastery of appropriate skills to tackle the problem. Research results are incorporated into a thesis, which is submitted for examination.
Undertaking a higher degree by research requires a much greater commitment of time than a coursework degree: at least 36 hours per week for 48 weeks of the year, for a full-time student. Traditionally, research-level study has been viewed as a pathway to a research or academic career.
- Information about our PhD Program and application process (PDF, 124 KB)
- Expression of Interest (EoI) form (PDF, 202 KB)
- Our expectations of, and commitments to, our HDR students (PDF, 144.6 KB)
Research Seminars are also run through the BUiLD Programme.
- Confirmation of Candidature
- Research Ethics
- HDR Support and Conference Grants
- HDR Publication Incentive (PDF, 126.4 KB)
- Research skills, Managing research data, IT support
- Research fundamentals
- Research Tools (Software and Databases)
- PhD opportunities
- Publishing your research
- Research coursework
- Reporting your publications
Places in the workshops are limited, so if you want to attend please register as soon as possible via the HDR training website. Some workshops are also delivered online using Skype for Business. Please check the workshop program for details.
If you later find that you are unable to attend, please cancel your registration so that your place is made available to another student.
Deakin offers many resources for completed students to help assist them after they complete their candidature including
- Applying for jobs
- Resume builder
- Training and workshops
- Learn about interviews
- Postgraduate opportunities
Contact DeakinTALENT for more information.
Three-minute Thesis finalist
Visit the Deakin 3MT website for eligibility and how to apply.