Final Unit to Complete
For students enrolled in Business and Law courses only
The 'Final Unit to Complete' (FUTC) provision, described in clauses 56-62 of the Assessment (Higher Education Courses) Procedure, offers you the opportunity of a Pass Conceded grade (PC) or Supplementary Assessment where you are one credit point short of completing your degree.
You must apply to the Faculty which owns your course:
Course codes starting with A or E: Faculty of Arts and Education
Course codes starting with H: Faculty of Health
Course codes starting with S: Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment
- The Faculty Academic Progress Committee (FAPC) will usually award a PC grade over a Supplementary Assessment if you are eligible for both.
- Neither PC grades nor Supplementary Assessment will be awarded for units worth 2 credit points, or if you have more than one credit point remaining to complete the course.
- If you opt for Supplementary Assessment, the outcome:
- does not guarantee a pass in the unit
- is final and there is no further opportunity for additional supplementary assessment, review of result or PC grade
|Pass Conceded requirements||Supplementary Assessment requirements|
|Outcome: if awarded, a PC grade and eligibility to graduate||Outcome: if awarded, a supplementary assessment with a maximum possible grade of 50P and there is no guarantee of a pass|
How to apply
The application period for Trimester 1 2018 results has closed.
If you are applying late because of a delayed result or have other queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I apply for a Final Unit to Complete (supplementary assessment or pass conceded) for Trimester 1 2018?
- The application form will open at 6pm on Thursday 5 July 2018 and close at 6pm on Thursday 12 July 2018.
How long will my application take to be assessed?
- Students will normally receive an outcome within 5 working days of application to their Deakin email address.
What type of supplementary assessment will I be given?
- For units with an exam, successful applicants will be given a supplementary exam (SAE)
- For units with no exam, successful applicants will be given another form of assessment (SAA)
When will I sit my supplementary exam?
- Eligible students who apply before 6pm on Thursday 5 July 2018 will sit a supplementary exam in the Trimester 1 2018 supplementary exam period (30 July to 3 August 2018) where applicable.
- No changes to exam times or dates will be offered for Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessments.
Can I enrol in a Trimester 2 2018 unit or have a COE extension if I am waiting for a supplementary exam? (International Students Only)
- DEAKIN INTERNATIONAL INFORMATION:
- Students with expiring COEs are advised to change their course mode to offshore by submitting a course transfer form to their faculty and also Change Exam Location for remaining units to offshore.
- A CoE extension cannot be granted if you are not enrolled in the current active trimester (Trimester 1 2018) and your enrolment status has changed to ‘Inactive’ due to supplementary exams or assessment. You have to enrol in these units to get a CoE extension.
- Please note that according to your student visa condition 8202 - International students cannot remain in Australia more than 28 days without an enrolment and must maintain enrolment in a registered course that is the same level as, or at a higher level than, the registered course for which you were granted a visa.
- You may remain in Australia if you have a valid visa with study right. This will allow you to give your FUTC or supplementary exams or assessment onshore. Please note that to for Temporary Graduate visa and Post study work visa (subclass 485) applicants must satisfy the Australian study requirement that have been undertaken while being in Australia as the holder of a visa authorising you to study.
Can I receive a Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessment for a cross-institutional or study abroad unit?
- Only units directly administered by Deakin University are eligible for Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessments - this does not include cross-institutional or study abroad units.
Can I apply for special consideration for a Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessment?
- Special consideration will not be granted in any form for these supplementary assessments.
Can I apply for a Review of Results following the outcome of a Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessment?
- Review of results applications will not be accepted following Final Unit to Complete assessment outcomes.
- Students who wish to apply for Review of Results for a unit should apply within 5 working days of the release of Trimester 1 2018 results.
What happens if I pass my Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessment?
- Students who pass a Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessment will receive a maximum mark of 50 P* for the applicable unit. Course completion will then be assessed by Student Services.
What happens if I don't pass my Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessment?
- Students who fail a Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessment will have their original fail grade/mark for the unit confirmed.
- These students will be required to re-enrol in a unit to complete their course.
* Students should consider whether a Final Unit to Complete supplementary assessment (capped at 50 P) is right for them in relation to their completion aims, such as meeting professional recognition requirements, before applying.
In relation to combined degree programs, a student is eligible to be considered for a Pass Conceded grade in each of the component degrees.
In some cases, eg LLB, professional recognition requirements will make a Pass Conceded grade inappropriate even where all criteria have been met. If you are in this category please seek advice from a student adviser.