Preparing you for WIL
Work Integrated Learning (WIL) placements are offered as Faculty level elective units and are credited to your degree. WIL units attract normal university fees. It is important that you complete any WIL prerequisites prior to applying/seeking WIL opportunities. Being prepared and informed avoid disappointments.
Please note: Students are only able to complete up to 3 WIL credit points during their degree. For example, 1 career placement and a 6 month long IBL placement; or, 1 career placement, 1 STEM placement and 1 six or twelve week IBL placement.
Things you must know and do before applying/seeking WIL opportunities
- WIL placement opportunities that are suitable for your course may be emailed to you via your Deakin email, posted on the course hub or advertised on the Deakin UniHub.
- You must have one free elective in your course to enrol in a WIL unit. Please contact your course adviser and request a signed course confirming that you have room in your course for a WIL placement;
- You must enrol in and satisfactorily complete the 0 credit point unit, STP010 Introduction to Work Placements (undergraduate students)/ STP710 Introduction to Work Placements (postgraduate students) prior to the placement trimester;
- You will be required to undertake a series of online compulsory modules, Pre-placement Employability Modules, before the placement. These are designed to increase your professional capacity during placement and to increase your employability skills before, during and after the placement.
- Participation in the Pre-placement Employability Modules is compulsory and you will not be able to commence a placement unless you have completed these modules. Access to these modules is via request.
How do I find an organisation? Who can I approach?
Read more information on how to source and secure a WIL placement
Did you know that the WIL placement units STP301 IBL, STP381 STEM Placement and STP341 Career Placement are 'Start Anytime' units?
For more information, see the Start Anytime FAQ section
I have found a placement and would like it approved
If you have already found a placement and are looking for approval, you must follow the instructions on how to submit a placement application for approval