Digital study tools
Deakin students have access to many online study tools and programs. Here is a list of essential links, as well as a selection of some of our favourite free online tools.
If you find that one of these suggested tools does not meet your requirements, please email Study Support or post your query on the Digital Tools discussion forum in UniStart. You can let us know too if you find a really good, accessible and easy to use tool.
Deakin's digital study tools
- If you are new to Deakin, make sure you review the Digital Tools topic and activities in UniStart, as it provides an overview of the tools most used by Deakin students (DeakinSync, unit sites, Turnitin, Skype for Business).
- Use the Deakin assignment planner to prepare a schedule for your next assignment.
- Deakin students can access a range of free software via the Deakin software library. Includes Microsoft office applications, media tools, accessibility software, and much more.
- Students also have free access to Lynda.com, which has thousands of video tutorials covering the latest software, as well as creative and business skills. Develop skills in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and much more. Sign in with your Deakin username and password.
- Have a question about your Deakin password, WiFi or printing? Ask IT Help.
More free tools
Plan, organise and share your ideas with online mind maps, study planners and flash cards.
A brainstorming and mind mapping application that enables users to quickly capture and organise ideas. Free
Build mind maps or create flashcards, quizzes, a study planner and notes. Set up a study group for collaborative assignments. Free.
Create notes on a topic and post them to a "wall", then invite others to collaborate. Notes can be pictures, documents, links, video or text. Great for group planning. Works on all platforms. Free.
Create your own study resources for exam preparation.
Build mind maps, or create flashcards, quizzes, a study planner and notes. Set up a study group for collaborative assignments. Free.
Create flashcards, quizzes and notes, or explore what other users have made. iOS and Android apps available. Free.
Create flashcards and quizzes. iOS and Android apps available. Free.
Find out more about exam preparation.
Organise your documents, web readings and notes in the cloud.
- Microsoft OneNote
Archive notes, PDFs and other files, including images, audio and webpages. Sync across all your devices. Tag your items for easy searching and access. Easy-to-use colour tabs and quick styles for formatting. OneNote works best with Windows and Microsoft products. Free for Mac and Windows. Download as part of MS Office 2013 via the Deakin software library.
Archive notes, PDFs and other files including images, audio and webpages. Sync across all your devices. Tag your items for easy searching and access. Evernote has more sharing options than MS OneNote. Free and paid versions. Also available as iOS/Android app.
- Foxit Reader
View, create, annotate and organise your PDFs. Free. Windows only.
- Deakin students have free access to Office 365, one of the Deakin Anywhere applications. Work on documents across all devices. Students have access 1TB of cloud storage via OneDrive.
Find out more about note taking.
You should always refer to your unit guide and the Deakin referencing guide for correct referencing details. Here are some time saving tools to help you generate a citation for your next assignment.
- Cite this for me
Search for your source and generate a citation in your preferred style. Free.
- Microsoft Word
You can use Microsoft Word to create in-text citations, footnotes and reference lists or bibliographies. Search 'Help' in your version of MS Word for more details.
Need an alternative to PowerPoint? Explore these free presentation tools.
This online tool creates interactive non-linear presentations. Include images, videos and mind maps. Free version available. Present from any browser and syncs across all devices.
- Haiku Deck
Choose from a library of themes or import your own images to create simple, visual presentations and share online. Free. Create via any browser or use iPad app.
Find out more about giving oral presentations.