Study support appointments
How a Language and Learning Adviser can assist you
Language and Learning Advisers can help you to understand your assessment task and provide feedback on planning, writing and revising for assessments.
We can also suggest strategies to help you further develop your writing and study skills. All appointments are held online via Zoom.
During your appointment advisers will provide useful strategies to build academic skills that apply to your studies. They will also refer you to resources and workshops that may assist you in building the necessary skills to succeed.
What we do:
- Help build the academic skills to be successful
- Share study skills and strategies for success including resources and workshops
- Referral to additional support services across the university
- Provide early feedback on academic writing. Language and Learning Advisers do not proof read or edit work.
- Support to build a good understanding of academic writing in English.
Appointments with Language and Learning Advisers are available online throughout the year. Read the study support booking instructions (PDF, 181.7KB) first and then find an appointment that suits you.
If you need a quiet place to attend your appointment, you can book a space on campus.
Making the most of your appointment
To get the most out of your time with us:
- Email your assessment task question and/or draft directly to the adviser. It doesn’t matter what stage you are up to!
- Make a list of questions to ask.
- Decide which section of your work you want to focus on – we only give detailed feedback on a short section of work, not entire assessments.
- Find a quiet space for your online consultation.
- Make sure you have a reliable internet connection.
- Set up your device and check your audio is working – we recommend a USB headset with a microphone for the best experience.
- Have your unit guide and assessment instructions open on your computer to share.