Refunds and remissions

You can qualify for a refund if you withdraw from your course, or reduce your study load, before the census date. After the census date, you may have your debt 'remitted' under special circumstances.

Refund of student fees

If you discontinue your enrolment or reduce your enrolment load on or before the census date of any study period, you may be entitled to apply for a refund of fees paid for that period.  

Domestic students will be entitled to a 100% refund of any fee amount paid, provided you withdraw from your units on or before the census date. 

The refunded amount for international students depends on whether you are a commencing or continuing student.

A refund can only be paid where:

  • the University has received the money that is to be refunded and the funds have been cleared
  • you have already actioned any enrolment changes
  • the effective date of the enrolment change is on or before the census date
  • the payment has not already been allocated to other outstanding student fees, e.g. fees assessed for the following study period.

Complete the Application for refund of fees form (PDF, 54KB) form and forward it to:

  • Deakin Central on any campus, or
  • email to, or
  • mail to:
    Student Finance
    Division of Student Administration
    Deakin University
    Locked Bag 20000
    Geelong VIC 3220

How long will it take?

Under normal circumstances refunds will be processed within 14 business days of receipt of your correctly completed application.

Payment methods

All refunds are paid in Australian dollars by one of the following methods:

  • Cheque to an Australian address
  • Bank Draft to an overseas address
  • Telegraphic Transfer to an overseas bank account

Remission of debt in special circumstances

In special circumstances, the Higher Education Support Act 2003 provides that students who withdraw from their units after the relevant census dates can apply to have their:

  • HECS-HELP debt for those units remitted
  • HECS-HELP debt for a unit consisting wholly of work experience in industry (WEI) remitted
  • FEE-HELP balance re-credited
  • Up-front payment of a student contribution or tuition fee refunded.

You cannot apply for a re-credit or remission if you have successfully completed or are currently enrolled in the unit of study.  Note: If you are still enrolled in a unit you should consider applying for Special Consideration before applying for Remission of Debt.  Alternatively if you are still enrolled you must withdraw from the unit before submitting your application.

The University must remit any debt if the provider is satisfied that the special circumstances:

  • are beyond the person's control
  • did not make their full impact on the person until on, or after, the census date, and
  • made it impracticable for the person to complete the requirements for the unit during the period which the person undertook, or was to undertake the unit

The special circumstance must occur or make its full impact on your studies after the applicable census date.

Medical circumstances: Your medical condition must have changed to such an extent that you are unable to continue studying.

Family/personal circumstances: For example, death or severe medical problems within your family, or unforeseen family financial difficulties.

Employment related circumstances: For example, where your employment status or arrangements have changed so that you are unable to continue your studies, and this is beyond your control.

Course related circumstances: For example, where the Faculty has changed the unit it had offered and you are disadvantaged by either not being able to complete the unit, or not being given credit towards other units or courses.

If you withdraw from unit(s) after the applicable census date, the SSAF will still apply and no refund will be given. If you have elected to defer payment of the SSAF, a SA-HELP debt will still be incurred if they withdraw from unit(s) or courses of study, after the applicable census date. Any amount deferred to the ATO through SA-HELP will not be refunded.

If you have not paid the SSAF you will still need to pay this fee.

You must apply to the University, in writing, within 12 months of the withdrawal date. If you have not withdrawn, you must apply within 12 months of the end of the period of study in which the unit was, or was going to be, undertaken.     

Applications must date-based, detailing the special circumstance/s and the impact they had on your ability to complete your studies.  Where more than one period is being applied, for you must list all circumstances and events individually for both periods.Applications must include independent supporting documentation, for example, a letter from your doctor or counsellor, employer to support your claims.

Applications must include independent supporting documentation, for example, a letter from your doctor or counsellor, employer to support your claims.

Commonwealth supported and FEE-HELP students

Fee paying domestic and international students

Page custodian: Division of Student Administration
Last updated:

Back to top