Teaching and Learning Committee
The Teaching and Learning Committee is responsible to the Academic Board for assuring the academic standard, coherence and relevance of all aspects of teaching and learning in relation to higher education awards.
Contact the Secretary of the Teaching and Learning Committee.
Terms of reference and composition
Updated 11 November 2014
The Teaching and Learning Committee is responsible to the Academic Board for assuring the academic standard, coherence and relevance of all aspects of teaching and learning in relation to higher education awards as well as advice and recommendations on strategic initiatives related to teaching and learning.
- To propose, monitor, and advise on academic standards and quality relating to teaching and learning, including principles of student selection and admission, progression, retention and assessment, the teaching and learning environment, and academic aspects of the student experience.
- To propose, monitor, review, and advise on strategic initiatives related to teaching and learning and the student experience.
- To initiate and monitor compliance with relevant legislation, policies and procedures, and oversee their implementation, focussing on student-related academic matters and the relevant teaching and learning sections of the Academic Policy Framework.
- To consider reports from faculty boards, the Institute of Koorie Education and other areas in relation to quality improvements in the teaching and learning environment.
Rules of Operation
The Committee shall conduct its business subject to the Standing Orders of the Academic Board and its committees (PDF, 138.0 KB) .
- Two members of the Academic Board, appointed by the Chair of Academic Board, one shall be chair and one shall be deputy chair
- Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning) of each Faculty
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Planning and Integrity)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Teaching and Learning)
- One coursework undergraduate student of the University appointed by the Chair of Academic Board
- One coursework postgraduate student of the University appointed by the Chair of Academic Board
- Executive Director, Deakin International
- University Librarian/Executive Director, Academic Support (or nominee)
- A nominee of the Director, Institute of Koorie Education, who is responsible for teaching and learning
- Director, Academic Governance and Standards
- One Faculty General Manager
- Co-opted members (the Committee may co-opt up to four additional members at any given time for a period of up to one year. The co-option may be renewed on an annual basis.)
- Standing invitations with right of audience and debate
- Executive Director, Division of Student Administration
- Director, Strategic Intelligence and Planning Unit
The Secretary of the Teaching and Learning Committee shall be a member of the Governance Unit.