Internal phones on campus
Students can make free calls within Deakin University to a university extension (the last 5 digits of a university telephone number) using the internal phones situated throughout the various campuses. Courtesy phones are located in many buildings across all campuses.
Phone cards can be used for local, interstate and international calls. They have no expiry date and can be inserted one after the other (like coins) to extend phone calls without being disconnected.
Phone cards or coins can be used at any of the phones on campus. You can buy phone cards from selected newsagencies and milk bars.
How do I use phones?
To pay for calls from a public telephone you will need coins or a phone card.
- Local calls (calls within Victoria): Dial the required number (all calls to fixed lines within Melbourne cost 50 cents each).
- Interstate calls: dial the area code + Number.
- International calls: dial 0011 + country code + area code + number. (Check the White Pages for the correct international dialling code of each country).
- Australia's international country calling code is +61.
- Victoria's area code is 03. When calling a Victorian number from overseas, the 0 is dropped, so the code you need to dial is 613 followed by the regular phone number.
- Mobile phone numbers in Australia start with 04. When calling a mobile phone from outside Australia, again the 0 is dropped, so the number starts with 614, followed by the rest of the number.
- To make an international call, dial 0011 followed by the country code, the area code and then the phone number.
- 1800 phone numbers are free calls from fixed line/home phones. Charges may apply if you call from a mobile phone.
- 13 or 1300 phone numbers are the cost of a local call from anywhere in Australia.
- 19 or 1900 phone numbers are premium numbers. These are charged by the minute at a higher rate that can vary from around 55c to $5 a minute.
Call pricing and long-distance information: 1800 113 011
Local directory assistance: 1223
International directory assistance and operator: 1225
Translator services: 131450
Telstra Multicultural Call Centres
Cantonese: 1800 677 008
Indonesian: 1800 429 432
Korean: 1800 773 421
Mandarin: 1800 678 876
Vietnamese: 1800 644 500
1800 numbers are not charged.